Skip to content

NASCAR: Justin Allgaier sitting out of Friday’s Sprint Showdown

May 13, 2014, 7:00 PM EST

Kobalt 400 - Qualifying Getty Images

Sprint Cup rookie Justin Allgaier will not compete in Friday’s Sprint Showdown for an opportunity to make the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race at Charlotte the next night.

The winner and runner-up in the Showdown move on to the main event, but Allgaier’s car owner, Harry Scott, has opted to pull the Illinois driver from Friday’s event in order to focus on upcoming points-paying races such as the Coca-Cola 600 on Memorial Day weekend.

The decision comes after Allgaier wrecked in last weekend’s 5-Hour Energy 400 at Kansas Speedway. He was clipped by a spinning A.J. Allmendinger and spun into David Gilliland, who took a second impact with the SAFER Barrier in the tri-oval.

Both drivers were checked and released from the infield care center, but not after enduring perhaps the hardest hit so far this Sprint Cup season. It was Allgaier’s third crash in the last four races.

“For us, being a small independent team, obviously points races are the main focus,” Allgaier said according to the Associated Press. “With crashing a couple of weeks ago at Talladega and crashing last week at Kansas, it puts a toll on a team and this is going to give us to really hit the reset button and push through.

“I understand it, I know why we are doing it. I would much rather go and try to win the 600 then to just make it through the Showdown and just make it through the 600.”

Allgaier also noted that his team buys older chassis, primarily from Hendrick Motorsports, and needs time to prepare them.

“We get older cars, they are not cheap, and they are not the easiest to get,” he said. “If they’ve got a good car, they don’t want to get rid of them too soon.”

It’s been a trying first year in Cup for Allgaier, who ran five full seasons in the Nationwide Series before moving up for 2014. He sits 29th in the Cup standings with a top finish of 17th at Bristol Motor Speedway in March.

  1. rg72 - May 14, 2014 at 7:16 PM

    I think this is a smart move for a team that, while still a little thin on resources, is showing signs of holding its own. Justin has been running in the Top 15 late in some of the recent races. To me, the Showdown (actually the whole All-Star Race for that matter) is a waste of time and at least for the Showdown, unless you qualify in the first 2 or 3 rows, you don’t have much of a shot.
    I wonder if other teams will take the same approach in the future.

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!

Video from NASCAR America

Kevin Harvick's well deserved Sprint Cup
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches
  1. J. McMurray (1644)
  2. J. Gordon (1640)
  3. T. Stewart (1562)
  4. J. Johnson (1249)
  5. J. Logano (1194)