May 13, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Forgive me for a moment of brief personal indulgence. As a kid, growing up, one of my favorite video games was Mario Kart on Nintendo 64 … and yes, I did have the occasional nightmare about racing at Bowser’s Castle or the chomping head dudes going against you and the lack of walls on most of the Rainbow Road course.
So, back to the present, I seriously appreciate another open-wheel “kid,” and a talented one at that in 2013 USF2000 champion Scott Hargrove, a 19-year-old Canadian, putting together this hilarious compilation of Mario Kart elements into a highlight package from this weekend’s Pro Mazda races at the Grand Prix of Indianapolis.
Well, he and his Cape Motorsports with Wayne Taylor Racing teammate Neil Alberico put it together.
Hat tip to Spencer Pumpelly of Flying Lizard Motorsports, who posted this on Twitter this morning, and where I first saw it.
And like USF2000 driver Daniel Burkett dressing up in a hot dog suit, this is the kind of stuff more teams and drivers on the Mazda Road to Indy need to be doing to get noticed beyond what they do on track.
Humor wins, folks.
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 5
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 9
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 1
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2
- Audi boss Ullrich laughs off continual F1 rumors 2