May 13, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Forgive me for a moment of brief personal indulgence. As a kid, growing up, one of my favorite video games was Mario Kart on Nintendo 64 … and yes, I did have the occasional nightmare about racing at Bowser’s Castle or the chomping head dudes going against you and the lack of walls on most of the Rainbow Road course.
So, back to the present, I seriously appreciate another open-wheel “kid,” and a talented one at that in 2013 USF2000 champion Scott Hargrove, a 19-year-old Canadian, putting together this hilarious compilation of Mario Kart elements into a highlight package from this weekend’s Pro Mazda races at the Grand Prix of Indianapolis.
Well, he and his Cape Motorsports with Wayne Taylor Racing teammate Neil Alberico put it together.
Hat tip to Spencer Pumpelly of Flying Lizard Motorsports, who posted this on Twitter this morning, and where I first saw it.
And like USF2000 driver Daniel Burkett dressing up in a hot dog suit, this is the kind of stuff more teams and drivers on the Mazda Road to Indy need to be doing to get noticed beyond what they do on track.
Humor wins, folks.
Video from NASCAR America
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 8
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 8
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1