May 14, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Former Hootie & the Blowfish front man Darius Rucker will sing the National Anthem for Saturday night’s Sprint All-Star Race at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
In addition, Carolina Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly will serve as the honorary pace car driver for the non-points exhibition event, track officials announced Wednesday.
The Grammy Award-winning Rucker left Hootie & the Blowfish in 2008 and has since gone on to a successful solo career in country music, including hits such as “Don’t Think I Don’t Think About It,” “It Won’t Be Like This for Long,” “Alright,” “Comeback Song” and a cover of Old Crow Medicine Show’s “Wagon Wheel.”
Kuechly has led the Panthers in tackles for the last two seasons – including as a rookie in 2012 that netted him Associated Press Defensive Rookie of the Year honrs – and went on to be named AP’s 2013 Defensive Player of the Year in his sophomore season in the NFL.
The former Boston College standout will be behind the wheel of the event’s official Toyota Camry pace car, making sure much like he does on the football field that no driver gets an unfair advantage before the green flag falls each time during the event.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Now IndyCar’s champion, Will Power’s mindset hasn’t changed heading into 2015 0
- Alonso moves to clear up testing crash conspiracy theories 0
- NHRA Funny Car driver Cruz Pedregon trades seats for a day with NASCAR counterpart Joey Logano 2
- Can IndyCar’s next generation take it to the established veterans? 0
- Fernando Alonso talks return in Malaysian GP 2
- Nowhere to go but up for Lotus at Malaysia GP 3
- Malaysian Grand Prix highlights NBCSN’s weekend of motors coverage 0