May 14, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Former Hootie & the Blowfish front man Darius Rucker will sing the National Anthem for Saturday night’s Sprint All-Star Race at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
In addition, Carolina Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly will serve as the honorary pace car driver for the non-points exhibition event, track officials announced Wednesday.
The Grammy Award-winning Rucker left Hootie & the Blowfish in 2008 and has since gone on to a successful solo career in country music, including hits such as “Don’t Think I Don’t Think About It,” “It Won’t Be Like This for Long,” “Alright,” “Comeback Song” and a cover of Old Crow Medicine Show’s “Wagon Wheel.”
Kuechly has led the Panthers in tackles for the last two seasons – including as a rookie in 2012 that netted him Associated Press Defensive Rookie of the Year honrs – and went on to be named AP’s 2013 Defensive Player of the Year in his sophomore season in the NFL.
The former Boston College standout will be behind the wheel of the event’s official Toyota Camry pace car, making sure much like he does on the football field that no driver gets an unfair advantage before the green flag falls each time during the event.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Bubba Wallace pays homage to NASCAR Hall of Famer Wendell Scott with encore win at Martinsville 0
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 3
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1