May 14, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
Easier to just link the release from INDYCAR, below:
INDYCAR GRAND PRIX OF INDIANAPOLIS POST-EVENT INFRACTIONS
INDYCAR announced today post-event infractions from the Grand Prix of Indianapolis, which was held May 10 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
· INDYCAR officials have fined engine manufacturer Chevrolet $20,000 and penalized it 10 engine manufacturer’s points for violations of the engine regulations. Chevrolet was found to have violated Rule 11.2 (Torque Control) and 12.1 (Traction Control) of the Verizon IndyCar Series Engine Regulations.
· INDYCAR officials have fined Schmidt Peterson Motorsports $1,000 for a technical violation on its No. 77 Verizon IndyCar Series entry driven by Simon Pagenaud. The entrant was found to have violated Rule 22.214.171.124 (Underwing splitter) of the Verizon IndyCar Series rulebook.
· INDYCAR officials have fined Penske Racing $1,000 for a technical violation on its No. 3 Verizon IndyCar Series entry driven by Helio Castroneves. The entrant was found to have violated Rule 14.15.7 (Differential assembly) of the Verizon IndyCar Series rulebook.
The member may contest the imposition of the penalty pursuant to the procedures and timelines detailed in the review and appeal procedures of the Verizon IndyCar Series rulebook.
As for what the rules mean, from the rulebook, here’s the actual language (h/t to James Black of 16th and Georgetown who had these posted up to his site, as well).
11.2 Torque Control – The only means by which the driver may control the engine torque is via a single chassis-mounted foot pedal or on-board fuel mixture switch. Designs which allow specific points along the pedal travel range to be identified by the driver or to assist in holding a position are not permitted. The minimum and maximum pedal travel positions must correspond to the engine throttle minimum (normal idle) and maximum open positions.
It is permissible to take control of the engine torque away from the driver during any of these events only:
a) When a stuck throttle is detected
b) During a gearshift
c) For pit lane speed limit control
d) For engine rev limit control
e) To control over boosting
12.1 Traction control – Traction or launch control is not permitted.
INDYCAR also announced that the race winning car of Simon Pagenaud was fined $1,000 for violating Rule 126.96.36.199 (Underwing splitter) and Team Penske’s No. 3 entry was fined $1,000 for the violation of Rule 14.15.7 (Differential assembly).
Those read as follows:
188.8.131.52. All of the remaining underwing parts (splitters, sidewall extensions etc.) must remain as supplied with the exception of adding extra fasteners or the permitted trim to the underwing sidewall.
14.15.7. All parts of the differential assembly must be used as supplied by Xtrac.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
Motor City connections are plentiful between the three Ford drivers still standing in the Chase.
Oct 25, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
The 4-Rings takes to Facebook to dismiss yet another revival of the rumors that it’s going Grand Prix racing in the near-future.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Battle for Truck Series championship becomes three-horse race.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr. won his first career NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Martinsville Speedway last October. He returned to the short bullring one year later to win there again in Saturday’s Kroger 200.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
Stenhouse and Allgaier will start mid-pack on Sunday at Martinsville.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Says first five years in F1 are about surviving, but cannot see the project failing.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Harvick turns in a 19.457-second lap around the Virginia half-mile to top “Happy Hour.”
Oct 25, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
German driver looking forward to tackling the Circuit of The Americas in Austin next weekend.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Despite fighting breast cancer for the third time, NASCAR fan Wendy Smith decided to spend $25 to help others even less fortunate. Her gratuity paid off in a big way, earning a brand new $65,000 Chevrolet Corvette.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Patrick not afraid to tackle thorny topics yesterday at Martinsville.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
On a weekend that carries a lot of significance for honoring NASCAR Hall of Fame-elect inductee Wendell Scott, Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr. paid tribute in his own way to Scott, earning the pole for Saturday’s Kroger 200 Camping World Truck Series race.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Former HRT driver casts his damning judgement on the current cost crisis in F1.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
The demise of both Caterham and Marussia has been on the cards for some time, yet Formula 1 has allowed it to happen.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
Despite chilly temperatures in the mid-40s in the 50-minute early-morning session, Jimmie Johnson led all drivers in the next-to-last Sprint Cup practice with a best lap of 98.023 mph, the only driver over the 98 mph mark.
Oct 25, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Over 400 people attend special event in celebration of Brabham’s life and legacy.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Lotus driver has failed to score any points in 2014, but feels that next season will hold better things.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Yet another record falls to the Spanish sensation in Malaysia.
Oct 25, 2014, 5:48 AM EDT
Bernie Ecclestone claims that there will be just 18 cars racing in Austin.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
In a surprisingly candid admission, six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson says that while nothing is imminent, the day is coming when he and crew chief Chad Knaus will go their separate ways.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
In a bemusing video released Thursday, NASCAR star Kevin Harvick spent one of his recent off nights working the room at an Outback Steakhouse.
Video from NASCAR America
- Bubba Wallace pays homage to NASCAR Hall of Famer Wendell Scott with encore win at Martinsville 1
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 8
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1