Efficiency personified: Sprint All-Star Race logo painted on Charlotte Motor Speedway infield in just 3 hours (video)
May 15, 2014, 9:51 PM EDT
How many times have you gone to a NASCAR race and marveled at – or at least wondered about – the painted designs, typically the name of that weekend’s event, on the infield grass?
Certainly, something like that takes days, if not weeks to design, draw and paint, right?
Not for Alan Jones, one of the most proficient infield artists in motorsports. When it came time to laying down the logo in the middle of the frontstretch grass at Charlotte Motor Speedway for Saturday’s Sprint All-Star Race, Jones didn’t waste time.
This past Tuesday, it took Jones and his four-man crew all of THREE HOURS from start to finished product! You can see a time-lapse video of Jones and his staff doing their thing below, courtesy of The Charlotte Observer.
Jones tells The Observer that he kind of fell into what has been one of his primary jobs for nearly 40 years. It was in 1976 and Jones was a billboard painter.
While working at the Speedway painting more mundane things like men’s and women’s bathrooms and concession stands, he was asked if he could literally paint grass.
A new career and art form of sorts was born, with Jones having gone on to paint countless race logos at a number of racetracks across the country.
Like a crew chief on race day, Jones oversees everything while at the same time not afraid to get his hands dirty … uh, err, covered with paint, that is.
Check out the video below. It tells a heck of a story.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 0
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0