Efficiency personified: Sprint All-Star Race logo painted on Charlotte Motor Speedway infield in just 3 hours (video)
May 15, 2014, 9:51 PM EDT
How many times have you gone to a NASCAR race and marveled at – or at least wondered about – the painted designs, typically the name of that weekend’s event, on the infield grass?
Certainly, something like that takes days, if not weeks to design, draw and paint, right?
Not for Alan Jones, one of the most proficient infield artists in motorsports. When it came time to laying down the logo in the middle of the frontstretch grass at Charlotte Motor Speedway for Saturday’s Sprint All-Star Race, Jones didn’t waste time.
This past Tuesday, it took Jones and his four-man crew all of THREE HOURS from start to finished product! You can see a time-lapse video of Jones and his staff doing their thing below, courtesy of The Charlotte Observer.
Jones tells The Observer that he kind of fell into what has been one of his primary jobs for nearly 40 years. It was in 1976 and Jones was a billboard painter.
While working at the Speedway painting more mundane things like men’s and women’s bathrooms and concession stands, he was asked if he could literally paint grass.
A new career and art form of sorts was born, with Jones having gone on to paint countless race logos at a number of racetracks across the country.
Like a crew chief on race day, Jones oversees everything while at the same time not afraid to get his hands dirty … uh, err, covered with paint, that is.
Check out the video below. It tells a heck of a story.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 12
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 5
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 47
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2