May 15, 2014, 12:32 AM EST
Since the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races Friday night at Charlotte Motor Speedway, second-year driver Jeb Burton has next weekend off.
Make that he HAD it off, but bot anymore.
Jeb, son of former Daytona 500 winner Ward Burton and nephew of NBC analyst Jeff Burton, will make his second career start in the NASCAR Nationwide Series on Saturday, May 24, at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Burton will compete in the History 300, driving the No. 98 Kendall-Jackson AVANT Wines Ford.
“We’re thrilled to have both Jeb Burton and Kendall-Jackson AVANT with us for the first time,” said team co-owner Fred Biagi. “Jeb has impressed at every level he’s raced, and we’re excited to put that talent behind the wheel of our Ford Mustang. And with a name like Kendall-Jackson on the car, that car is going to turn some heads.”
Added Burton, “I think the racing in the Nationwide Series is really good right now, and I’m excited to be a part of it. I’m also looking forward to working with Kendall-Jackson, bringing a new sponsor into the sport and having a good run for them.”
Burton made his first NNS start last fall at Kentucky Speedway, started 13th and finished an impressive eighth for Turner Scott Motorsports.
Even more impressive, he has taken to the Truck series like a duck to water. As a rookie last season, he won a race, earned an amazing seven poles (nearly one-third of the races) and had 11 top-10 finishes in 22 starts, ultimately finishing an outstanding fifth in the final season standings.
Thus far this season, Burton has two top-10s in three starts and ranks seventh in the standings.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 1
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 5
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 6
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0
- Jean-Eric Vergne confirms Toro Rosso exit 3