May 16, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
He’ll have the shortest gap to celebrate his second pole, albeit one in a non-points race, for tonight’s Sprint Showdown at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
“The Dow Chevy was pretty hard to drive in practice but we changed a lot as best we could,” Dillon told FOX Sports. “We used our teammates, too. I came to the green pretty hard, we were free, but I rode it out. Hopefully we can get in this All-Star Race. It was a huge improvement from practice.”
Dillon posted a late flier of more than 194 mph around CMS to put the No. 3 car on the pole.
The top two from tonight’s Showdown and a fan vote winner will advance into Saturday night’s Sprint All-Star Race.
Here’s the starting grid, with the race set to go green at 7:15 p.m. ET. There are two segments of 20 laps apiece for the race.
3-Austin Dillon, 27.747, 194.616 mph
47-AJ Allmendinger, 27.821, 194.098 mph
42-Kyle Larson, 27.833, 194.014 mph
15-Clint Bowyer, 27.860, 193.826 mph
9-Marcos Ambrose, 27.889, 193.625 mph
27-Paul Menard, 27.961, 193.126 mph
33-David Stremme, 30.383, 177.731 mph
Video from NASCAR America
- Hamilton inches away from Rosberg to top FP2 at COTA 0
- Sebastian Vettel to start United States GP from pit lane 0
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 1
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 3
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2