May 16, 2014, 5:01 PM EST
He’ll have the shortest gap to celebrate his second pole, albeit one in a non-points race, for tonight’s Sprint Showdown at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
“The Dow Chevy was pretty hard to drive in practice but we changed a lot as best we could,” Dillon told FOX Sports. “We used our teammates, too. I came to the green pretty hard, we were free, but I rode it out. Hopefully we can get in this All-Star Race. It was a huge improvement from practice.”
Dillon posted a late flier of more than 194 mph around CMS to put the No. 3 car on the pole.
The top two from tonight’s Showdown and a fan vote winner will advance into Saturday night’s Sprint All-Star Race.
Here’s the starting grid, with the race set to go green at 7:15 p.m. ET. There are two segments of 20 laps apiece for the race.
3-Austin Dillon, 27.747, 194.616 mph
47-AJ Allmendinger, 27.821, 194.098 mph
42-Kyle Larson, 27.833, 194.014 mph
15-Clint Bowyer, 27.860, 193.826 mph
9-Marcos Ambrose, 27.889, 193.625 mph
27-Paul Menard, 27.961, 193.126 mph
33-David Stremme, 30.383, 177.731 mph
Video from NASCAR America
- ‘Do you get mad when your boyfriend wrecks you?’ Danica Patrick faces kids’ pressing questions 2
- Jeff Gordon to serve as NASCAR TV analyst this season 6
- Ganassi’s No. 02 Riley-Ford Scores Rolex 24 Victory 3
- Rex White, NASCAR Hall of Fame driver — and storyteller 1
- Is a NASCAR TV analyst career in Jeff Gordon’s future? ‘I’d entertain it’ 2
- After wedding and winter to reflect, Joey Logano looks for more in 2015 2
- Jeff Gordon’s legacy of success transcends generations 1