May 16, 2014, 4:07 PM EST
Jonathan Byrd’s Racing’s return to the Indianapolis 500 will come a year earlier than originally scheduled. Bryan Clauson, who made his race debut in 2012 for Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing, will drive the Jonathan Byrd’s Racing enter in next year’s race.
The team had previously announced a return for the 2016 Indianapolis 500, the 100th running of the race, but will instead come back in 2015.
“Though we had originally intended to return for the 100th running of the Indy 500 in 2016, which would also have been the 20th anniversary of our track record with Arie, the announcement of our plans was met with such enthusiasm in so many different ways and from so many different directions, we decided that it did not make any sense to wait until 2016 and that we needed to move our program forward by a year,” said Ginny Byrd.
Clauson, one of short-track racing’s best drivers as a two-time USAC National Sprint Car Champion, two-time USAC National Midget Champion, three-time USAC National Driver’s Champion, two-time National Midget Driver of the Year, and the 2014 Chili Bowl winner, paid tribute to some of the short-track legends who have run at the Speedway in making the announcement.
“I’m extremely excited to be headed back to the Indy 500. Getting back on track at IMS is something I’ve been working toward since the end of the 2012 race, and I can’t thank the Byrd family enough for giving me this opportunity,” he said in a release.
“The Byrd family has a tremendous history not only at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but also among the short track community as well. To add my name to an impressive list of Jonathan Byrd’s Racing drivers that includes guys like Rich Vogler and Stan Fox is an honor. With what I learned from my previous Indy 500 experience, along with a full year to prepare, I can’t wait to see what we can accomplish together.”
Added Jonathan Byrd II, elder son of the late Jonathan Byrd, “Not only is Bryan going to be our Indy 500 driver next year, it’s our intention that he be our Indy 500 driver for the next 15 years. He is a great fit for our brand, and we hope to be in the BC business for many years to come.”
The 2015 Indianapolis 500 will be the 10th anniversary of the most recent Jonathan Byrd’s Racing Indy 500 entry with Buddy Lazier in 2005. It will also mark the 30th anniversary of the first Jonathan Byrd’s Racing Indy 500 entry with Rich Vogler in 1985.
A team partnership for the effort will be announced soon, as well.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH: Race of Champions at 7 p.m. ET kicks off motors evening on NBCSN 0
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 15
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1