May 16, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Points leader Chase Elliott was the fastest in the first of three Nationwide Series practices Friday at Iowa Speedway.
Driving the No. 9 JR Motorsports Chevrolet, Elliott’s top lap on the .875-mile long oval was 134.690 mph.
The 18-year-old Elliott, who graduates from high school on Saturday, has won two races in this season’s nine races thus far. He is the son of NASCAR great Bill Elliott.
Several teams delayed taking to the track because the session opened with temperatures in the upper 30s, preferring to wait until the track built up some heat before starting their practice runs.
Two other practice sessions are slated for later Friday at 2-4 p.m. ET and again from 4:30-5:50 p.m. ET.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Montoya fastest on opening day of Indianapolis 500 practice 0
- Indy 500 refresher running, RoP gets underway today at IMS 0
- Chevrolet reveals its super speedway aero kit 2
- ARCA driver Brad Smith recovering from ankle surgery after Talladega wreck 0
- 21 years after his death, the legacy of Ayrton Senna burns as brightly as ever 2
- Honda reveals its super speedway aero kit Thursday at IMS (VIDEO) 9
- Ed Carpenter talks Newgarden’s win and preparing for superspeedway aero kit at Indy 4