May 16, 2014, 2:13 PM EST
Points leader Chase Elliott was the fastest in the first of three Nationwide Series practices Friday at Iowa Speedway.
Driving the No. 9 JR Motorsports Chevrolet, Elliott’s top lap on the .875-mile long oval was 134.690 mph.
The 18-year-old Elliott, who graduates from high school on Saturday, has won two races in this season’s nine races thus far. He is the son of NASCAR great Bill Elliott.
Several teams delayed taking to the track because the session opened with temperatures in the upper 30s, preferring to wait until the track built up some heat before starting their practice runs.
Two other practice sessions are slated for later Friday at 2-4 p.m. ET and again from 4:30-5:50 p.m. ET.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 21
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 2