May 16, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Points leader Chase Elliott was the fastest in the first of three Nationwide Series practices Friday at Iowa Speedway.
Driving the No. 9 JR Motorsports Chevrolet, Elliott’s top lap on the .875-mile long oval was 134.690 mph.
The 18-year-old Elliott, who graduates from high school on Saturday, has won two races in this season’s nine races thus far. He is the son of NASCAR great Bill Elliott.
Several teams delayed taking to the track because the session opened with temperatures in the upper 30s, preferring to wait until the track built up some heat before starting their practice runs.
Two other practice sessions are slated for later Friday at 2-4 p.m. ET and again from 4:30-5:50 p.m. ET.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- IndyCar driver raises concern about design of wishbone that injured James Hinchcliffe in crash 1
- IndyCar confirms Boston race for 2016 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tops quiet second Monaco GP practice 0
- Hamilton quickest in opening practice for Monaco GP 0
- James Hinchcliffe transferred out of ICU, full recovery expected 4
- Tony Kanaan says older part, reinforced suspension contributed to Hinchcliffe’s crash and injury 7