May 16, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Points leader Chase Elliott was the fastest in the first of three Nationwide Series practices Friday at Iowa Speedway.
Driving the No. 9 JR Motorsports Chevrolet, Elliott’s top lap on the .875-mile long oval was 134.690 mph.
The 18-year-old Elliott, who graduates from high school on Saturday, has won two races in this season’s nine races thus far. He is the son of NASCAR great Bill Elliott.
Several teams delayed taking to the track because the session opened with temperatures in the upper 30s, preferring to wait until the track built up some heat before starting their practice runs.
Two other practice sessions are slated for later Friday at 2-4 p.m. ET and again from 4:30-5:50 p.m. ET.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: FP2 for the United States Grand Prix 0
- Sebastian Vettel to start United States GP from pit lane 0
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 1
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 3
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2