May 16, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Points leader Chase Elliott was the fastest in the first of three Nationwide Series practices Friday at Iowa Speedway.
Driving the No. 9 JR Motorsports Chevrolet, Elliott’s top lap on the .875-mile long oval was 134.690 mph.
The 18-year-old Elliott, who graduates from high school on Saturday, has won two races in this season’s nine races thus far. He is the son of NASCAR great Bill Elliott.
Several teams delayed taking to the track because the session opened with temperatures in the upper 30s, preferring to wait until the track built up some heat before starting their practice runs.
Two other practice sessions are slated for later Friday at 2-4 p.m. ET and again from 4:30-5:50 p.m. ET.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 0
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 1
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 4
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 3