May 16, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton has revealed that he never expected to enjoy such a successful start to the season, having won the last four races, but he has no plans of stopping any time soon as the Formula 1 circus heads to Monaco next weekend.
The British driver took the lead of the drivers’ championship in Spain after defeating teammate Nico Rosberg by just 0.6 seconds, and he is hoping for a repeat result around the streets of Monte Carlo at F1’s blue riband event.
“Monaco is just incredible to drive and any driver will tell you that’s the race they want to win,” Hamilton said. “So many great names become legends around this circuit. It’s an honor to fight for your place amongst them and a real test of your skills behind the wheel.
“The last few races have been just incredible. I honestly never expected I’d win four consecutive grands prix in my career and I’d love to continue that run here.”
Hamilton still believes that there is room for improvement with the car, and felt uncomfortable throughout the Spanish Grand Prix weekend despite secure pole position and the win.
“I’ve had some work to do in terms of getting the car exactly as I want it after the weekend in Spain,” he said. “It was so close between our cars at the end and I need to keep pushing to find any extra edge I can.
“The car has been strong at every race so far and I’m sure it’ll be the same in Monaco, so we should be set for an entertaining weekend.”
Given Mercedes’ dominance of the season so far, it is hard to bet against the team winning once again at a track it traditionally excels around. Hamilton and Rosberg have amassed 197 of 215 possible points so far this season, but they are separated by just three in the drivers’ championship, meaning that once again we could be set for an enthralling battle between the Silver Arrows.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Matt Kenseth confident as Loudon looms (VIDEO) 0
- Singapore GP, Red Bull GRC highlight weekend’s NBC motorsports coverage 0
- NASCAR: Richard Petty Motorsports committed to two-car program in 2015 5
- NASCAR: STANLEY, DEWALT join JGR in 2015 4
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 25