Much vote: Dogecoin community votes Josh Wise into All-Star Race

May 16, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT

DogeVote Getty Images

The power of new media, social media, Reddit.com and the seemingly unstoppable Doge meme has propelled underdog driver and team Josh Wise and Phil Parsons Racing into the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race by way of the Sprint Fan Vote.

Which means he beat Danica Patrick. Or Danica’s boyfriend, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. Or the guy that drives the 3, Austin Dillon. And the other drivers who failed to advance.

Patrick wasn’t pleased. “It is what it is,” said Patrick, in a piece written by Sporting News’ Bob Pockrass. “That’s what it is. It’s outside sources that are in control. I know my fans voted a lot and I understand that I actually had more votes this year than I did last year by a fair amount.”

Details of the Sprint Fan Vote, how many votes Wise received or how many he won by were not revealed. But he was notified immediately after taking the checkered flag of Friday night’s Sprint Showdown preliminary race, where he finished 18th.

Via Jeff Gluck of USA Today, Sprint Showdown winner Clint Bowyer told Wise, “For you and your community to beat Danica out is saying something.”

It’s a huge payday for the small team, too. Per MRN Radio’s Dustin Long, Wise’s team is set to make an extra $70,000 in prize money.

Wise has been a driver on the rise thanks the popularity of the Dogecoin Internet cryptocurrency, which gathered enough crowd funding to sponsor his No. 98 car at Talladega a couple weeks ago and returned for an encore for the All-Star Race this weekend. A video of Wise and the Dogecoin car taking out others also gained traction this week.

“This is huge for me and my team,” Wise said post-race. Via Pockrass, Wise said this is big deal for sport because of a lot of young people who wouldn’t tune in are tuning in.

It’s definitely exposing the sport to a newer generation of fan, and to a point, it’s also a case of new media support trumping on-track performance.

But it’s hard not to love an underdoge, and the Wise-Dogecoin story is a welcome tonic in a world of mostly blasé, corporate pitchmen who often relay the same trite cliches in interviews.

Yeah, they’re not going to win on-track. But they’re doing well to win off it.

Much respect.

1. concoursrider - May 17, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Danica wasn’t pleased? When things don’t go her way she’s never pleased. This is what makes her so hateable.

2. chad4208 - May 17, 2014 at 10:21 AM

What driver is pleased when things don’t go there way? Are you pleased when things don;t go your way? No? Well I hate you then. *rolls eyes* By that logic every human being on the planet is hateable by the same standards as her so…you are really just saying she is just like everyone else.

3. outlawtrn1999 - May 17, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Danica comes off as entitled although I think it is more of her showing aggressiveness.

4. manik56 - May 17, 2014 at 11:04 AM

How many of these Josh wise “fans” will watch the race? I would guess not too many. They just had fun sabatoging a professional sport.

• kitnamania13 - May 17, 2014 at 11:25 AM

I know! How dare they violate the sanctity of a fan vote!

5. concoursrider - May 17, 2014 at 11:44 AM

chad4208 I should clarify what I said. I feels she’s hateable because she comes off very spoiled and entitled. At the awards last year she didn’t like the jokes about her and Ricky and she sat there with a pouty face. She lost and she’s being a baby about it. I would have had more respect if she said congratulations to him and lost with class.

• chad4208 - May 17, 2014 at 4:02 PM

That makes more sense Thumbs up

6. testover6370 - May 17, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Danica is mad because someone has popularity entirely unrelated to performance on the track?

ARE. YOU. KIDDING. ME?

In all seriousness, NASCAR has a “race” where the entries are determined by internet popularity? Every day they find a way to validate my decision to make that the only major 4 wheeled form of motorsport I don’t follow. What an absurd farce.

Today on NASCAR AMERICA