After leading first segment of Sprint All-Star Race, Kyle Busch wrecks in second segment; night is over
May 17, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
After leading the first segment of the five-segment, 90-lap Sprint All-Star Race at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Kyle Busch‘s night came to an abrupt end in the second segment.
Busch got into the rear of Clint Bowyer‘s car, who started drifting, only to bounce back into Busch’s car, spinning him out.
“I got into him, got him squirrelly, he touched me and spun me out the wrong way,” Busch said of Hamlin.
It was the younger Busch brother’s ninth start in the All-Star race and the fifth time he has failed to finish.
Logano was collected in the wreck when he couldn’t avoid Busch’s car, which was coming down the track and Logano piled into it.
“They were racing hard in front of me and the 18 car spun out there,” Logano said. “I thought he was gonna stay up by the wall and I kind of committed to running that bottom and I was trying to slow up as quick as I could, but once he started coming down the race track I kept trying to turn lower and lower and hoped he would go back up the race track and never did. I wish I had turned to the right and tried to get around him that way, but I was really thinking he would not keep sliding down like that and keep going back up the corner because it looked like he had a lot of speed still, but I didn’t get to have much fun tonight.”
Kasey Kahne led at the conclusion of the second segment with two more 20-lap segments and a deciding 10-lap final segment still to come.
Of the 22 cars that started, three were out after the second segment: Kyle Busch, Logano and Allmendinger. There were four cautions in the first two segments.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Roger Penske intends to keep his ‘four aces’ in IndyCar 0
- NHRA: Antron Brown looks to make Top Fuel fireworks this weekend 0
- Pippa Mann revels in career-best IndyCar finish at Fontana 0
- After tough recent outings, Jack Hawksworth relishes 10th-place showing at Fontana 1
- MAVTV 500: Despite being nerve-racking to crazy, drivers glad safety won out 1
- WATCH: IndyCar’s frantic, thrilling MAVTV 500 to re-air at midnight ET on NBCSN 6
- Nelson Piquet Jr crowned first ever FIA Formula E champion in thrilling London finale 1