May 17, 2014, 8:46 PM EDT
Carl Edwards made it clear he wants the $1 million prize later Saturday night in the 30th annual Sprint All-Star Race, qualifying No. 1 less than two hours before the 90-lap, non-points race takes the green flag.
Edwards covered the 1.5-mile Charlotte Motor Speedway with a very stout effort of 146.915 mph, marking his second career start from the pole in the All-Star race.
“It was fun,” Edwards said. “I had a plan to come on pit road and threw it out the window. … This is fun. I think I’m still shaking a little bit, this is so intense. Hopefully we can start out front and win a million bucks.”
Kyle Busch, who won the Camping World Truck Series race on Friday, was second fastest in Cup qualifying (145.791 mph), marking the fourth time he’s started the All-Star race on the front row.
Busch wasn’t completely happy once he climbed from his No. 18 Toyota Camry.
“I left a lot out there everywhere, not quite enough car grip that I wanted to have and not enough coming on to pit road that I would have liked to have,” Busch said.
Kevin Harvick was third-fastest at 145.560 mph.
The rest of the 22-driver field was: Jamie McMurray (11th at 143.702 mph), Martin Truex Jr. (12th, 143.230 mph), Brad Keselowski (13th, 142.692), Greg Biffle (14th, 142.026), 15th Tony Stewart (15th, 139.630), Brian Vickers (16th, 139.142), AJ Allmendinger (17th, 138.795), Kurt Busch (18th, 137.991), Josh Wise (19th, 133.674), David Ragan (20th, 128.696), Ryan Newman (21st, 123.873) and Denny Hamlin (22nd, 123.458).
The 90-lap, five-segment race will begin approximately 9:10 pm ET tonight.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Dixon fastest on Friday at Mid-Ohio 1
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 2
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 1
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 1
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 9
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1