May 17, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
Dylan Kwasniewski has had some rough times of late in his rookie season in the Nationwide Series, but not in Saturday’s final practice round for Sunday’s Get to Know Newton 250 at Iowa Speedway.
The Las Vegas native covered the .875-mile track with a best speed of 135.077 mph, coming on the next-to-last of 46 laps he attempted in what was the weekend’s fourth and final practice for Sunday’s main event.
Eleventh through 20th were Regan Smith (132.470), Dakoda Armstrong (132.403), Sam Hornish Jr. (132.236), Cale Conley (132.225), Michael McDowell (132.148), Elliott Sadler in 16th (132.109), Chris Buescher (132.098), Ryan Gifford in 18th (132.037), Landon Cassill (131.871) and Ryan Blaney (131.667).
One driver was conspicuous by his absence for not taking part in the final practice: Nationwide Series points leader Chase Elliott.
The 18-year-old Elliott had a good excuse: he was back in his suburban Atlanta home, preparing for his high school graduation.
Elliott is expected to be back in time later Saturday for qualifying, which is scheduled for 7:10 p.m. ET.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Gene Haas’ F1 team changes team name, launches new pages 0
- Cindric proposes IndyCar champion Will Power will run No. 1 in 2015 2
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 1
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 2
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 4
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1