May 17, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
After such a terrible start to the 2014 season, Lotus finally found its feet and scored some points at the Spanish Grand Prix thanks to Romain Grosjean’s eighth place finish.
However, technical director Nick Chester has no plans of stopping there, and believes that the tight and twisty nature of the circuit for next weekend’s Monaco Grand Prix will suit the E22 car.
“Monaco is a bit of a strange place – a one off – so it’s always dangerous to assume your car will be good there,” he said. “But I think it will suit the E22 and we should go fairly well.
“We’ll also be bringing some specific parts aimed at giving us more downforce at what is the highest downforce track of the year. Other new parts will help tune the car for the bumpy and low speed track characteristics.”
The team missed the first test in Jerez in January, and has been on the back foot ever since. The problems were exacerbated by engine supplier Renault starting its own development late, but the right steps have been taken.
“The parts we’ve tested so far look good and we’ll also have a new fuel from Total which should further improve power and driveability,” Chester explained. “There will also be a small modification to the cooling system and there are other aerodynamic developments aimed at making the car more stable.”
Grosjean’s run to eighth in Spain finally got the team off the mark in 2014, but teammate Pastor Maldonado is still yet to finish inside the top ten.
The Venezuelan driver has won few plaudits this season after a number of unavoidable incidents, but if the pace of the E22 is there, he could soon join Grosjean in the points.
- Munoz wins rain-shortened first race in Detroit 1
- Action Express wins; safety worker taken to hospital in TUDOR race at Detroit 0
- The week that was for Juan Pablo Montoya 0
- Power wins Verizon P1 Award in Detroit with new track record 1
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 2
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7