May 17, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Adrian Sutil has set his sights on scoring points for the first time in 2014 at next weekend’s Monaco Grand Prix.
The German driver moved to Sauber at the end of last season, and has since failed to finish inside the top ten. The team has encountered a number of problems with the C33 car, including a weight problem for the first four races.
For the Spanish Grand Prix, a significant upgrade package was promised that would alleviate much of these problems and bring the team back to form. However, Sutil and teammate Esteban Gutierrez were anonymous once again, finishing down in 16th and 17th place.
Nevertheless, Sutil is confident that he can break this duck at Monaco, one of his favorite circuits.
“The Monaco Grand Prix is a very nice event every year,” he said. “I really like the track. For us, the most important aspect will be that our car works well and we can achieve a good performance.
“My objective is to travel back home with some points in my pocket. Looking back, I have good memories from the races in Monte Carlo as I collected some points almost every year.”
Indeed, Sutil has scored points on each of his last three visits to the Mediterranean principality, making it one of his most successful circuits.
“Last year it was an exciting race for me which I finished in fifth position,” he said. “It is always a special grand prix, and I am looking forward to it.”
The 2013 race saw Sutil produce some fine overtaking manoeuvres that ordinarily are not possible around the tight and twisting streets of Monte Carlo.
He also impressed at Monaco back in 2008 when Force India was a backmarker team. In wet conditions, he had battled his way up to fourth place, and looked set to claim a famous result until Kimi Raikkonen ran into the back of his car at the Nouvelle Chicane.
Adrian will be hoping that he can re-find some of this form to finally get Sauber on the scoreboard in 2014 next weekend.
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham denies future is at risk despite goods being seized 1
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 6
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 23
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3