May 18, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
Still tows, still extra boost, but still speeds creeping up on Sunday morning at the Indianapolis 500 morning practice before official Pole Day this afternoon.
Mikhail Aleshin, at 232.917, posted the fastest lap of the month in the No. 7 SMP Racing Honda for Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Josef Newgarden was second for Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing, also over 232 mph.
Both Kurt Busch and Ryan Hunter-Reay were in the 231 range, and Carlos Huertas clocked in fifth at 230 mph.
Hard to tell too much if anything from these times, especially since we already know the nine drivers who have a shot at pole. But, bragging rights anyway for the Russian rookie, who has a nice bounce back a week after being involved in the start line accident in the Grand Prix of Indianapolis.
Here’s your morning speeds and times.
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3