May 18, 2014, 9:52 AM EST
Still tows, still extra boost, but still speeds creeping up on Sunday morning at the Indianapolis 500 morning practice before official Pole Day this afternoon.
Mikhail Aleshin, at 232.917, posted the fastest lap of the month in the No. 7 SMP Racing Honda for Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Josef Newgarden was second for Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing, also over 232 mph.
Both Kurt Busch and Ryan Hunter-Reay were in the 231 range, and Carlos Huertas clocked in fifth at 230 mph.
Hard to tell too much if anything from these times, especially since we already know the nine drivers who have a shot at pole. But, bragging rights anyway for the Russian rookie, who has a nice bounce back a week after being involved in the start line accident in the Grand Prix of Indianapolis.
Here’s your morning speeds and times.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR considers unveiling 2016 rules at Sprint All-Star Race in May 1
- Kyle Busch says Toyota teams are “idiots” by not working close together 7
- Brian France: State of NASCAR is in a good place and getting better 2
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Jarrett to join NASCAR coverage on NBC, NBCSN 4
- F1: Lotus releases images of its new Mercedes-powered E23 2
- NASCAR Media Tour begins today, but drivers still in idle 2
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. ponders a 24-hour NASCAR race 8