May 18, 2014, 7:30 AM EST
Esteban Gutierrez will be heading to next weekend’s Monaco Grand Prix well aware that he is under pressure to score his first points of the season, after a lacklustre showing in the first four races.
The plucky Mexican debuted in Formula 1 last season and appeared to come alive in the second half of the year, scoring six points in total. However, both he and teammate Adrian Sutil have been underwhelming at best in 2014, and are yet to record a top ten finish.
In Monaco next week, a traditionally high rate of attrition could work in Gutierrez’s favor, but he knows that he’ll have to push to the limit if he is to excel around the streets.
“The street circuit in Monaco is a very special track and one of my favorites on the calendar,” he said. “As the track has many slow speed corners, we need to have a stable car. Our focus will be to get things sorted out and to make sure we are on target.
“What I like the most in Monte Carlo is driving on the narrow track between the guardrails. It is very challenging as you don’t have a lot of space, and for a perfect lap you get very close to the barriers.
“The closer you get, the more you are pushing to the limit, so using every centimetre of the track. It is very exciting and racing on the streets of Monte Carlo is always a different kind of feeling.”
Esteban hasn’t set the F1 world on fire since making his debut last year, and with Sergey Sirotkin, Simona de Silvestro and Giedo van der Garde all vying for his seat in 2015, the pressure will be on for him to deliver some results during his sophomore year.
Video from NASCAR America
- Ferrari chairman expects another tough season in 2015 0
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 3
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4