May 18, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT
Qualifying, day two, for this year’s Indianapolis 500 saw the runners 10-33 from Saturday qualify in reverse order today.
With the exception of Buddy Lazier, they all eclipsed the 227 mph mark, which should make for a faster field average once the Fast 9 run later today.
Mikhail Aleshin, Sunday morning practice leader, and Scott Dixon were the first to burst into the 230s on their Sunday runs. Dixon’s 230.928 was faster than Saturday’s fastest four-lap average set by Ed Carpenter, 230.661.
Juan Pablo Montoya then posted the first 231-plus mph four-lap average, with 231.007. He headlines a storyline filled Row 4 with defending Verizon IndyCar Series champion Dixon in the middle and Kurt Busch on the outside, after a qualifying run of 230.782 was enough to start 12th for the first of his 1,100-mile race day.
Row 11 will have the youngest driver in the field, Sage Karam, 19, on the inside, the oldest in 46-year-old Lazier on the outside and Grand Prix of Indianapolis polesitter Sebastian Saavedra, 23, in the middle.
After this group has completed their runs, here’s how they’ll line up from positions 10-33:
ROW 4 2-Juan Pablo Montoya, 231.007 9-Scott Dixon, 230.928 26-Kurt Busch, 230.782 ROW 5 98-Jack Hawksworth, 230.506 19-Justin Wilson, 230.256 7-Mikhail Aleshin, 230.049 ROW 6 10-Tony Kanaan, 229.922 11-Sebastien Bourdais, 229.847 16-Oriol Servia, 229.752 ROW 7 28-Ryan Hunter-Reay, 229.719 15-Graham Rahal, 229.628 18-Carlos Huertas, 229.251 ROW 8 63-Pippa Mann, 229.223 14-Takuma Sato, 229.201 68-Alex Tagliani, 229.148 ROW 9 6-Townsend Bell, 229.009 83-Charlie Kimball, 228.953 5-Jacques Villeneuve, 228.949 ROW 10 33-James Davison, 228.865 41-Martin Plowman, 228.814 8-Ryan Briscoe, 228.713 ROW 11 22-Sage Karam, 228.436 17-Sebastian Saavedra, 228.088 91-Buddy Lazier, 227.920
For a breakdown of how each driver’s four-lap run went, refer to the below screen cap from INDYCAR Timing & Scoring. Each driver’s warmup lap is first, followed by Lap 1, Lap 2, Lap 3, Lap 4, and the four-lap average.
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 0
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 1
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0