May 19, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
As we pay tribute to the late Sir Jack Brabham, here’s a flashback as we head into the Monaco Grand Prix this weekend – the final lap of the 1970 Monaco race, where Jochen Rindt battled Sir Jack for the win.
It was an incredible final lap; Brabham seemed to have the race in his grasp as he led the Austrian, before he slid off line trying to pass a slower car. That left Rindt to take the victory in his Lotus over Brabham’s own chassis. It was an unfortunate second place finish for the Australian.
Relive the action in this phenomenal piece of video, nearly 45 years on from the time it happened.
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 4
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 7
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 4
- Hamilton delighted after claiming 40th career pole (VIDEO) 3