May 19, 2014, 10:26 AM EST
As we pay tribute to the late Sir Jack Brabham, here’s a flashback as we head into the Monaco Grand Prix this weekend – the final lap of the 1970 Monaco race, where Jochen Rindt battled Sir Jack for the win.
It was an incredible final lap; Brabham seemed to have the race in his grasp as he led the Austrian, before he slid off line trying to pass a slower car. That left Rindt to take the victory in his Lotus over Brabham’s own chassis. It was an unfortunate second place finish for the Australian.
Relive the action in this phenomenal piece of video, nearly 45 years on from the time it happened.
Video from NASCAR America
- F1 2014 Review: Stories of the Season 0
- Toro Rosso confirms Carlos Sainz Jr. for 2015 F1 season 1
- F1 2014 Driver Review: Lewis Hamilton 0
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 12
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 3