May 19, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
As we pay tribute to the late Sir Jack Brabham, here’s a flashback as we head into the Monaco Grand Prix this weekend – the final lap of the 1970 Monaco race, where Jochen Rindt battled Sir Jack for the win.
It was an incredible final lap; Brabham seemed to have the race in his grasp as he led the Austrian, before he slid off line trying to pass a slower car. That left Rindt to take the victory in his Lotus over Brabham’s own chassis. It was an unfortunate second place finish for the Australian.
Relive the action in this phenomenal piece of video, nearly 45 years on from the time it happened.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 1
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 3
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2