May 20, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
The German bribery trial for Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone has been postponed for today and tomorrow while the 83-year-old tries to recuperate from a bad cold.
According to AFP, Ecclestone’s defense team presented the Munich court with a doctor’s certificate that confirmed Ecclestone was indeed sick. Judge Peter Noll then agreed to postpone the trial for the next couple of days.
Upon delivering the adjournment, Noll himself reportedly told Ecclestone that he did not look well, to which Ecclestone replied, ‘I’m OK.’
A court spokesman told the German news agency SID that Ecclestone was examined by doctors before the certificate was issued.
Last week, jailed banker Gerhard Gribkowsky said that Ecclestone gave him a $44 million bribe to help move along the sale of BayernLB’s stake in F1 to CVC Capital Partners.
However, a public prosecutor appeared today as a witness and said that Gribkowsky had told “fluctuating stories” years ago to help explain his sudden windfall; another German news agency, DPA, reported that Ecclestone’s lawyers looked pleased upon hearing the prosecutor’s testimony.
Ecclestone has admitted to paying Gribkowsky but maintains that it was done because of a blackmail attempt by the banker.
- Now IndyCar’s champion, Will Power’s mindset hasn’t changed heading into 2015 0
- Alonso moves to clear up testing crash conspiracy theories 1
- NHRA Funny Car driver Cruz Pedregon trades seats for a day with NASCAR counterpart Joey Logano 2
- Can IndyCar’s next generation take it to the established veterans? 1
- Fernando Alonso talks return in Malaysian GP 2
- Nowhere to go but up for Lotus at Malaysia GP 3
- Malaysian Grand Prix highlights NBCSN’s weekend of motors coverage 0