May 20, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
NBC Sports Group will present more than 50 hours of motorsports coverage this week leading into the “Biggest Day in Motorsports”, highlighted by NBC’s live presentation of the Formula One Monaco Grand Prix on Sunday at 7:30 a.m. ET.
NBC Sports Group’s F1 team of play-by-play voice Leigh Diffey, analysts David Hobbs and Steve Matchett, and F1 insider and pit reporter Will Buxton will call the action on-site from Monte Carlo.
NBC Sports Group’s extensive motorsports coverage this week spans Formula One, IndyCar, NASCAR, AMA Motocross, Global Rallycross and new original programming, culminating with NBC’s live coverage of the Monaco Grand Prix.
MONACO GRAND PRIX
NBCSN will kick off NBC Sports Group’s live coverage of the Monaco Grand Prix with Practice 2 on Thursday morning at 8 a.m. ET, followed by qualifying on Saturday morning at 8 a.m. ET.
Diffey, Hobbs, Matchett and Buxton will be on-site for practice, qualifying, and Grand Prix coverage, which begins Sunday morning at 7:30 a.m. ET on NBC.
In addition, NBC Sports Live Extra will present exclusive live streaming coverage of Practice 1 on Thursday at 4 a.m. ET, and Practice 3 on Saturday at 5 a.m. ET.
As part of the lead up to Sunday’s Monaco Grand Prix, NBCSN presents the television premieres of /DRIVE on NBC Sports and Off The Grid this Saturday, beginning at 9:30 a.m. ET following live coverage of Monaco Grand Prix qualifying.
/DRIVE on NBC Sports: Monaco is the first of 10 episodes that will air on NBCSN this year. The premiere follows hosts Chris Harris, Matt Farah and Mike Spinelli on an adventure across Europe to Monaco in three Formula 1-inspired supercars from F1 constructors Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz AMG and McLaren, as they discover the glitz, glamour and prestige surrounding the prestigious Monaco Grand Prix.
NBC Sports’ original series Off The Grid, hosted by F1 insider and pit reporter Will Buxton and NBC Sports Group F1 producer Jason Swales, premieres at 10 a.m. ET on NBCSN. The series gives F1 enthusiasts an inside look at the culture that surrounds the sport, both on and off the track.
This week’s episode examines the culture surrounding the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona, featuring interviews with Force India driver, Nico Hulkenberg and American GP2 drivers Alexander Rossi and Conor Daly.
“COUNTDOWN TO MONACO” PRESENTED BY CARFAX
Leading into the “Biggest Day in Motorsports”, NBCSN will present the “Countdown to Monaco” Presented by CarFax, highlighted by the North American television debut of the Formula 1 documentary titled “1” at 8 p.m. ET, which examines the history of the sport and drivers that risked their lives to change Formula 1 forever.
NBCSN’s “Countdown to Monaco” kicks off this Saturday starting at 3:30 p.m. ET with an encore presentation of qualifying for Sunday’s Monaco Grand Prix, followed by the Indy 500 Festival Parade at 5 p.m. ET.
Encore presentations of /DRIVE on NBC Sports: Monaco and Off The Grid: Barcelona will air after “1”, followed by GP2 Race 2 from Monaco at 11:30 p.m. ET, and AMA Motocross coverage from Glen Helen Raceway at 1 a.m. ET.
AMA Motocross coverage can be seen live digitally on NBC Sports Live Extra on Saturday beginning at 1:30 p.m. ET.
NASCAR AMERICA: INTERVIEWS WITH DANICA PATRICK AND KURT BUSCH; NASCAR HALL OF FAME ANALYSIS
NBCSN will air special editions of NASCAR America this week leading into the “Biggest Day in Motorsports,” including a recap special of Wednesday’s NASCAR Hall of Fame Induction announcements, as well as a live NASCAR America Motorsports Special on Friday that features interviews and reports from Monaco, Indianapolis, California and Charlotte.
- Tuesday, May 20th @ 5:00 p.m. ET – NASCAR America connects with the man of the week, Kurt Busch, amid preparations for Sunday’s bid to win both the Indianapolis 500 and the Coca-Cola 600. Kelli Stavast sits down with NASCAR’s magnetic Danica Patrick to discuss her impressions of Stewart-Haas Racing teammate Kurt Busch as he prepares for “The Double.” IndyCar’s Marco Andretti also joins to discuss Sunday’s Indianapolis 500.
- Wednesday, May 21st @ 5:00 p.m. ET – NBCSN offers a live special surrounding the NASCAR Hall of Fame Induction announcements, complete with discussion and analysis of the next class of honorees.
- Thursday, May 22nd @ 5:00 p.m. ET – NASCAR America introduces “Burton’s Garage,” a new production studio location in Concord, N.C., alongside many of the sport’s racing teams. NASCAR America analyst Jeff Burton connects with host Rick Allen to break down the latest story lines and developments.
- Friday, May 23rd @ 4:00 p.m. ET – NBCSN presents a live, 90-minute “NASCAR America Motorsports Special” heading into what could be the most action packed race weekend of the year. Host Rick Allen, analyst Kyle Petty, reporters Marty Snider and Kelli Stavast deliver the latest developments and connect live with reports from Monaco, Indianapolis and Charlotte. Highlights include a feature on last year’s Indy 500 winner Tony Kanaan, as well as an interview with NASCAR’s Tony Stewart, currently the only driver ever to finish the Indy 500 and Coca-Cola 600 on the same day. In addition AMA Motocross star James Stewart joins from Glen Helen Raceway in California, site of this weekend’s AMA Motocross event.
KURT BUSCH: 36
NBC Sports announced today that it will present an all-access look into the intense preparation, 200+ MPH competition and extreme logistics surrounding Kurt Busch’s upcoming attempt to win IndyCar’s famed Indianapolis 500 and NASCAR’s Coca-Cola 600 on the same day.
The 30-minute special, featuring in-depth interviews, on-track footage, team communications and a seat right next to Busch throughout his races against drivers from two elite series, pulsating travel conditions and the limits of his own endurance, will debut on Sunday, June 8, at 4:30 p.m. ET on NBC.
A 60-minute “director’s cut” of KURT BUSCH: 36 will air the following day, Monday, June 9, at 11 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
INDIANAPOLIS 500 CARB DAY
NBCSN, the cable home of IndyCar, will provide six hours of Indianapolis 500 Carb Day coverage, beginning Friday at 11 a.m. ET. In addition, NBCSN will air a live presentation of the Indy Lights Freedom 100 race at noon ET on Friday. Indy 500 coverage concludes on Saturday with the Indy 500 Festival Parade at 5 p.m. ET.
RED BULL GLOBAL RALLYCROSS – BARBADOS
In addition to F1, IndyCar, NASCAR America, and AMA Motocross coverage, NBC Sports Group’s coverage of the 2014 Red Bull Global Rallycross season begins this Saturday on NBC at 1 p.m. ET with their event from the Top Gear Festival in Barbados. Saturday’s race is the first of nine Red Bull Global Rallycross races on NBC this season.
Additional race locations this year include New York, Washington D.C., Daytona, Detroit, Charlotte, Los Angeles Seattle, and the season finale in Las Vegas in November. Red Bull Global Rallycross features some of the world’s premier rallycross drivers, including Ken Block, Tanner Foust and Scott Speed.
Veteran motorsports play-by-play announcer Tes Sewell will call the action on Saturday, joined by motorsports analyst Townsend Bell.
NBC SPORTS GROUP’S WEEK-LONG COVERAGE OF THE “BIGGEST DAY IN MOTORSPORTS”
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1
- Insight: Planning Andretti’s Sports Marketing promotional efforts at Miami and NOLA 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 3
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 4