With shot at a fifth straight win, Lewis Hamilton could join illustrious company

May 20, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Monaco - Practice Getty Images

If Lewis Hamilton can win his fifth consecutive Grand Prix this Sunday in Monaco (7:30 a.m. ET, NBC), he’ll join only six other drivers in Formula One history who have accomplished that feat.

Four drivers have compiled a streak of “just” five in a row: the late Sir Jack Brabham and the late Jim Clark in 1960 and 1965, respectively; Nigel Mansell and Michael Schumacher each won the first five races to open their 1992 and 2004 seasons.

All four drivers with that five-peat went on to win the World Championship that season.

Schumacher also has runs of six (2000-2001) and seven (2004) in a row. The record is of course nine in a row, set last year by Sebastian Vettel, a mark equaled by the late Alberto Ascari from 1952 to 1953 as he won nine straight races he entered.

Hamilton, now the championship leader, has a solitary won at Monaco in 2008 with McLaren, but hasn’t finished on the podium here since. He’s obviously keen to change that this weekend.

“Monaco is just incredible to drive and any driver will tell you that’s the race they want to win. So many great names become legends around this circuit,” Hamilton said in the team’s pre-race advance. “It’s an honor to fight for your place amongst them and a real test of your skills behind the wheel.

“The last few races have been just incredible,” he added. “I honestly never expected I’d win four consecutive Grands Prix in my career and I’d love to continue that run here. I’ve had some work to do in terms of getting the car exactly as I want it after the weekend in Spain: it was so close between our cars at the end and I need to keep pushing to find any extra edge I can.”

Practice starts on Thursday with Practice 1 live streamed on NBC Sports Live Extra at 4 a.m. ET, with Practice 2 on NBCSN at 8 a.m. ET.

1. dmoney666 - May 20, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Sorry, but these consecutive “wins” mean nothing to me, as a fan. The obvious disparity between Mercedes and the rest of the field is leaving us with BORING and predictable races, once again. This harkens back to Schumi’s dominance in the mid 2000s. The races are essentially over after the first lap or two. Enough already. Hamilton winning 5 in a row this wknd is akin to Derek Jeter winning 5 games in a row playing against a high school team. F1 needs to figure out how to get these cars more competitive. The races rent worth watching anymore.

• indycar02 - May 20, 2014 at 9:04 PM

f1 makes indycar look good.

• worknman24hours - May 21, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Yes,yes it does.

All that money spent and the other cars might as well be Fiat 500’s.

Hand it to Mercedes though.

When they finally got it right,they got it REALLY RIGHT!

• lewymp4 - May 21, 2014 at 2:30 PM

As a Hamilton fan, a 5th straight win at Monaco this weekend, will do me just fine.

• indycar02 - May 22, 2014 at 8:27 PM

fernando alonso, will do me just fine.

Today on NASCAR AMERICA