May 21, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
According to tweets by Vickers and MWR, his No. 55 Aaron’s Toyota wrecked in Turn 3, reportedly after a right front wheel came apart. It’s unclear if the actual wheel became separated from the car, or if there was some other type of failure.
Vickers tweeted that he’s okay but emerged from the wreck feeling sore.
Apparently the soreness isn’t affecting Vickers too much, as he jumped into a backup car and completed a number of additional laps.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 4
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3