May 21, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
The DeltaWing Racing Cars team adds former Ganassi team manager Tim Keene starting in June, and he’ll assume the same position for the prototype team ahead of the team’s next round in the 2014 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship season, at Watkins Glen on June 29.
Keene replaces fellow racing veteran David Price, who returns to Europe to focus on other business interests.
With more than 20 years experience in the business, Keene was the catalyst on the pit box for CGR’s GRAND-AM Rolex Series team starting in 2004. They won the title their first year.
“I’m really looking forward to the challenge,” Keene said in a team release. “It’s totally different from what I’m accustomed to, as far as the car goes – and that’s what is really appealing to me. I think the car is very capable of winning. The team has worked very hard on the car’s development and I think they’re really close to becoming a contender, so it’s a good time to come on board and do whatever it takes to get the car and team to that next level.
“Everyone is very determined and has a really good attitude – and it’s really about the people first,” he added. “I was pleasantly surprised to get the call from Don, as he’s an icon in American sports car racing. After meeting with him and checking things out, I was sure I was doing the right thing.”
Thus far in 2014, the DeltaWing outqualified the other P2-spec cars at Daytona, led overall at Sebring and charged from last up to seventh overall in Monterey before retiring due to a mechanical failure. Andy Meyrick, Katherine Legge, Gabby Chaves and Alexander Rossi have driven the car this year – Legge and Chaves will be behind the wheel at Watkins Glen, as Meyrick has a prior commitment.
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 0
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 3
- Hamilton delighted after claiming 40th career pole (VIDEO) 2
- Hamilton tames wet conditions to grab pole in Malaysia 2
- Rosberg closes out Malaysian GP practice fastest 0