May 21, 2014, 12:40 PM EST
NASCAR Hall of Famer Richard Petty’s late wife Lynda was honored Tuesday by the North Carolina General Assembly for her decades of service to the community and NASCAR.
Lynda and Richard had been married 55 years at the time of her death.
North Carolina state Sen. Jerry Tillman (R-Randolph) read an official proclamation in front of the General Assembly praising Lynda Petty for her years of service for a number of causes, including 16 years on the Randolph County Board of Education, founded several philanthropic organizations and served on several charitable boards.
Tillman also cited Lynda Petty for her years of service to the NASCAR community, to which Tillman called her “the First Lady of NASCAR.”
Richard Petty was present to accept the honors bestowed upon his late wife.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Jimmie Johnson: Kevin Harvick winning Sprint Cup title was “the right thing” 17
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Nico Rosberg 0
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Lewis Hamilton 0
- Hamilton quickest in second practice for Abu Dhabi GP 0
- First blood to Hamilton in Abu Dhabi as he tops FP1 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0