May 22, 2014, 9:34 AM EST
Fernando Alonso has finished fastest in the second practice session for the Monaco Grand Prix, posting the fastest time of the session in the final few minutes when the track had dried out following a rain shower.
His lap of 1:18.482 was good enough to see him finish four-tenths of a second ahead of Lewis Hamilton, who had topped the first session in Monaco earlier today.
Heavy rainfall between the end of FP1 and the start of the second session meant that the track was wet when FP2 began. Valtteri Bottas was the only driver to head out early on, but even on the intermediate tire, it was too wet to gain any meaningful data.
It was not until the halfway point in the session that the first times were set, with Jenson Button going fastest of all ahead of Sebastian Vettel and teammate Kevin Magnussen. Only another six drivers opted to set a time whilst the track was still dry, with others chosing to bide their time.
Kimi Raikkonen was not able to head out again after encountering a gearbox problem on the main straight. He did manage to get his Ferrari back to the pits, but the team will now be left with a repair job overnight and on Friday to get him ready for qualifying.
With just five minutes remaining, a number of drivers ventured out on the soft and super-soft tire as the track had dried out enough. This resulted in a number of rapid improvements, with P1 changing hands every few seconds. Jean-Eric Vergne, Daniil Kvyat, Sergio Perez and Nico Hulkenberg all topped the timesheets momentarily, but it was Fernando Alonso who ultimately finished fastest ahead of Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel.
The advantage certainly appears to lie with Mercedes in Monaco, but should rain strike during qualifying or the race this weekend, Ferrari and Red Bull may well be able to put up more of a fight to the Silver Arrows.
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 0
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 1
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1