May 22, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Reigning NASCAR Nationwide Series points leader Chase Elliott, who graduated from high school last weekend, took the rest of the NNS field to school in Thursday’s final practice session for Saturday’s History 300 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Elliott recorded the fastest speed in the second practice session of the day, covering the 1.5-mile CMS layout with a best lap of 178.330 mph.
Elliott also recorded the highest number of laps run during the session with 47 passes.
Brian Scott, who was the fastest driver in the first session earlier in the afternoon, was second-fastest in the encore session with a best lap of 178.163 mph.
While five of the top six fastest drivers in the first session were Sprint Cup regulars, the second session had just one Cup driver in the top five and three others in the top 10.
Regan Smith was third-fastest at 177.346 mph, followed by Dylan Kwasniewski (177.322), Kevin Harvick (177.247), Trevor Bayne (177.061), Kyle Larson (177.026), Matt Kenseth (176.968), Brad Keselowski (176.407) and Jeb Burton (176.373).
Only 37 drivers took part in the second session; 40 took part in the first session.
NNS qualifying will take place at 10:40 a.m. ET on Saturday, with the History 300 race slated to take the green flag about four hours later at 2:45 p.m. ET.
There was one incident of note during the session, although minor in nature. With less than seven minutes remaining in the session, John Wes Townley spun coming out of Turn 4 but was able to keep the car off the retaining wall and suffered minimal damage. He took the car back to the garage to be checked out.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0
- Rosberg tops FP1 at Silverstone after gearbox change 0
- NHRA: Tony Pedregon hopes to keep momentum going in Norwalk 0
- NHRA: New president Peter Clifford full of ideas to get drag racing back on-track 8
- Ryan Briscoe making most of filling in for James Hinchcliffe 0
- F1 Strategy Group pushing through technical revolution for 2017, other changes planned as early as Belgian GP 6
- 2015 British Grand Prix Preview 1