May 22, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Reigning NASCAR Nationwide Series points leader Chase Elliott, who graduated from high school last weekend, took the rest of the NNS field to school in Thursday’s final practice session for Saturday’s History 300 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Elliott recorded the fastest speed in the second practice session of the day, covering the 1.5-mile CMS layout with a best lap of 178.330 mph.
Elliott also recorded the highest number of laps run during the session with 47 passes.
Brian Scott, who was the fastest driver in the first session earlier in the afternoon, was second-fastest in the encore session with a best lap of 178.163 mph.
While five of the top six fastest drivers in the first session were Sprint Cup regulars, the second session had just one Cup driver in the top five and three others in the top 10.
Regan Smith was third-fastest at 177.346 mph, followed by Dylan Kwasniewski (177.322), Kevin Harvick (177.247), Trevor Bayne (177.061), Kyle Larson (177.026), Matt Kenseth (176.968), Brad Keselowski (176.407) and Jeb Burton (176.373).
Only 37 drivers took part in the second session; 40 took part in the first session.
NNS qualifying will take place at 10:40 a.m. ET on Saturday, with the History 300 race slated to take the green flag about four hours later at 2:45 p.m. ET.
There was one incident of note during the session, although minor in nature. With less than seven minutes remaining in the session, John Wes Townley spun coming out of Turn 4 but was able to keep the car off the retaining wall and suffered minimal damage. He took the car back to the garage to be checked out.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 3
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 3