May 22, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT
It was a Chevrolet onslaught, led by Dale Earnhardt Jr., in Thursday’s first NASCAR Sprint Cup practice session at Charlotte Motor Speedway for Sunday’s Coca-Cola 600.
Earnhardt paced the 45 drivers who took to the 1.5-mile tri-oval with a speed of 193.264 mph, more than 1 mph faster than second-fastest Kevin Harvick at 192.164 mph.
Seven Chevrolet drivers were part of the 10 fastest drivers in the session, led by Earnhardt and Harvick and followed by Jimmie Johnson third-fastest (192.014), Martin Truex Jr. fifth-fastest (191.775), Paul Menard (191.042), Kurt Busch (191.042), and Danica Patrick was ninth-fastest at 190.799 mph.
The fastest non-Chevy driver was Ford-powered Ricky Stenhouse Jr. with the fourth-fastest seed (191.782), teammate Carl Edwards was 10th-fastest at 190.577 mph, and Kyle Busch was the fastest and only Toyota driver in the top 10, with the sixth-fastest speed at 191.673 mph.
Qualifying for the Coca-Cola 600 takes place later Thursday night, starting at 7:10 p.m. ET. In addition, there will be two Nationwide Series practices from 4 to 5 pm ET and 5:30 to 6:50 pm ET.
By tradition, there will be no on-track activities at CMS on Friday. Sprint Cup drivers have two practice sessions on Saturday at 9:30 to 10:20 a.m. ET, and again from 1 to 2 p.m. ET.
Nationwide Series drivers will qualify Saturday morning at 10:40 a.m. ET, followed by the History 300 race at 3 p.m. ET.
The Coca-Cola 600, the longest and most grueling race of the Sprint Cup season, will begin at 6 p.m. ET on Sunday.
Check back here with MotorSportsTalk for more updates as they become available later today.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Rahal, Kimball out early in Detroit 0
- Action Express wins; safety worker taken to hospital in TUDOR race at Detroit 0
- The week that was for Juan Pablo Montoya 0
- Power wins Verizon P1 Award in Detroit with new track record 1
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 2
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7