May 22, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
Sebastian Vettel has infuriated F1 journalists and fans over the past few years by constantly switching helmets, making it impossible to easily pick him out on track from race to race.
However, in Monaco, his trend has been followed as a number of drivers have switched to a special ‘one-off’ helmet. There is only one winner here, though: Caterham’s Marcus Ericsson.
Be pre-warned: this is seriously cool.
The Swedish driver is paying homage to Ronnie Peterson, arguably the nation’s greatest Formula 1 racer, who won the Monaco Grand Prix forty years ago.
For this weekend, Ericsson will be using a replica of Peterson’s helmet, and he even has the original bag that Peterson himself used to keep it in.
— Caterham F1 Team (@CaterhamF1) May 22, 2014
As mentioned, he’s not the only one. Here’s a selection of some of the other lids that will be used in Monaco. However, Kimi Raikkonen will not be using the James Hunt design again this year after causing a stir in the past.
Helmet for the weekend! pic.twitter.com/ewud12X8CX
— Daniel Ricciardo (@danielricciardo) May 21, 2014
— Sauber F1 Team (@OfficialSF1Team) May 19, 2014
— Sebastian Vettel #1 (@sebvettelnews) May 22, 2014
— Valtteri Bottas (@ValtteriBottas) May 22, 2014
- Ferrari chairman expects another tough season in 2015 0
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 3
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4