May 22, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
Sebastian Vettel has infuriated F1 journalists and fans over the past few years by constantly switching helmets, making it impossible to easily pick him out on track from race to race.
However, in Monaco, his trend has been followed as a number of drivers have switched to a special ‘one-off’ helmet. There is only one winner here, though: Caterham’s Marcus Ericsson.
Be pre-warned: this is seriously cool.
The Swedish driver is paying homage to Ronnie Peterson, arguably the nation’s greatest Formula 1 racer, who won the Monaco Grand Prix forty years ago.
For this weekend, Ericsson will be using a replica of Peterson’s helmet, and he even has the original bag that Peterson himself used to keep it in.
— Caterham F1 Team (@CaterhamF1) May 22, 2014
As mentioned, he’s not the only one. Here’s a selection of some of the other lids that will be used in Monaco. However, Kimi Raikkonen will not be using the James Hunt design again this year after causing a stir in the past.
Helmet for the weekend! pic.twitter.com/ewud12X8CX
— Daniel Ricciardo (@danielricciardo) May 21, 2014
— Sauber F1 Team (@OfficialSF1Team) May 19, 2014
— Sebastian Vettel #1 (@sebvettelnews) May 22, 2014
— Valtteri Bottas (@ValtteriBottas) May 22, 2014
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 0
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 0
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0