May 22, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
When Lewis Hamilton scampered into the paddock on Thursday morning, he was graced with a number of puzzled faces and quizzical looks that said “aren’t you meant to be in the car?”.
Indeed, he was. Just as the green light went on to start the first practice session in Monaco, Hamilton was arriving by speedboat at the circuit. Very James Bond.
Turns out he had overslept. Not so James Bond.
After failing to find his pass (again), he eventually found a way into the paddock, and quickly suited up to begin his session. Come the end of FP1, he was at the very top of the timesheets ahead of teammate Nico Rosberg, and was very pleased with his performance.
“The car is still a work in progress but it felt really good out there today,” Hamilton explained. “I had a good first session and was then really pleased to get those last few laps in the dry this afternoon which was a big plus.
“I’m feeling pretty set for Saturday, there is still some work to do but we have tomorrow to look into that and finish all our preparations for the weekend.”
Hamilton is chasing his fifth straight win this weekend, but he has not reached the podium in Monaco since winning the race back in 2008. Nevertheless, he feels that he could break this barren spell thanks to the speed of the W05 car.
“I just love racing here,” he said. “This track is one of the coolest ever, and it was great to see all of the fans here already enjoying themselves. It’s such a classic race, and I’ve been trying to win here again since 2008, so I’m hoping this is the year as we have such a great car.”
If Lewis is to make it five in a row, a good qualifying performance on Saturday will be crucial given that overtaking comes at a premium in Monaco.
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari on day one of Jerez test 3
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 4
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 4
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0