May 22, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
When Lewis Hamilton scampered into the paddock on Thursday morning, he was graced with a number of puzzled faces and quizzical looks that said “aren’t you meant to be in the car?”.
Indeed, he was. Just as the green light went on to start the first practice session in Monaco, Hamilton was arriving by speedboat at the circuit. Very James Bond.
Turns out he had overslept. Not so James Bond.
After failing to find his pass (again), he eventually found a way into the paddock, and quickly suited up to begin his session. Come the end of FP1, he was at the very top of the timesheets ahead of teammate Nico Rosberg, and was very pleased with his performance.
“The car is still a work in progress but it felt really good out there today,” Hamilton explained. “I had a good first session and was then really pleased to get those last few laps in the dry this afternoon which was a big plus.
“I’m feeling pretty set for Saturday, there is still some work to do but we have tomorrow to look into that and finish all our preparations for the weekend.”
Hamilton is chasing his fifth straight win this weekend, but he has not reached the podium in Monaco since winning the race back in 2008. Nevertheless, he feels that he could break this barren spell thanks to the speed of the W05 car.
“I just love racing here,” he said. “This track is one of the coolest ever, and it was great to see all of the fans here already enjoying themselves. It’s such a classic race, and I’ve been trying to win here again since 2008, so I’m hoping this is the year as we have such a great car.”
If Lewis is to make it five in a row, a good qualifying performance on Saturday will be crucial given that overtaking comes at a premium in Monaco.
- Indiana native Bryan Clauson ready for special Indy 500 return 1
- On eve of 300th IndyCar start, Helio Castroneves eyes record-tying fourth Indy 500 win 0
- Alex Tagliani to drive 3rd AJ Foyt car in Indy 500, will pay tribute to Dan Gurney 1
- NHRA legend John Force turns 66, not slowing down any time soon 1
- Montoya fastest on opening day of Indianapolis 500 practice 2
- Indy 500 refresher running, RoP gets underway today at IMS 0
- Chevrolet reveals its super speedway aero kit 2