Jimmie Johnson takes Coca-Cola 600 pole, is first win of 2014 next? Also, Danica Patrick qualifies 4th
May 22, 2014, 8:34 PM EST
Still in the hunt for his first win of 2014, Jimmie Johnson took a big step in that direction on Thursday, earning the pole for Sunday’s Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
The six-time and defending Sprint Cup champion set the pace for Sunday’s longest and grueling race of the season with a speed of 194.911 mph. It was his fourth career pole for the 600.
“We don’t care what anybody says about this race team, we know what we’re capable of,” Johnson said. “We knew we had a great race car today and wanted to take advantage of it. We celebrated (after winning the pole), executed and we did our jobs.
“Qualifying days usually aren’t our best, but when we qualify well, we know we’re going to race well, so I’m real optimistic about Sunday. I look forward to giving it a good run Sunday night.”
Brad Keselowski will start on the outside pole, qualifying with a speed of 194.567 mph. It’s Keselowski’s seventh front row start in the first 12 races of 2012.
“We’ve qualified second a lot this year,” Keselowski said with a laugh. “Doggone it, it’s like kissing your sister. We’re running where we want to run up front, we just have to get a little better finishes.”
Kasey Kahne was third-fastest (193.618), followed by Danica Patrick‘s best qualifying effort of the season thus far at 193.334 mph, which is also the best qualifying position for a female racer ever at CMS. It’s also Patrick’s best qualifying effort on a non-restrictor plate track and her second-best overall qualifying effort in her Sprint Cup career.
Patrick is still riding momentum from her career-best finish of seventh two weeks ago at Kansas.
Of note in the qualifying session:
* Time ran out for Harvick and Kenseth, who failed to make qualifying runs in the third and final session.
* Points leader Jeff Gordon struggled and will start 27th.
* Kurt Busch, who will attempt to be the first driver to race earlier Sunday in the Indianapolis 500 and then compete in the evening’s Coca-Cola 600, will start 28th.
Here’s the starting lineup for Sunday’s Coca-Cola 600:
Row 1 Jimmie Johnson (194.911 mph), Brad Keselowski (194.567)
Row 2 Kasey Kahne (193.618), Danica Patrick (193.334)
Row 3 Clint Bowyer (193.244), Denny Hamlin (193119)
Row 4 Kyle Busch (193.092), Joey Logano (192.472)
Row 5 Marcos Ambrose (191.673), Dale Earnhardt Jr. (191.272)
Row 6 Kevin Harvick (193.959), Matt Kenseth (192.898)
Row 14 Jeff Gordon (189.673), Kurt Busch (189.553)
Row 22 Blake Koch (185.931)
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 0
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0