May 22, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Pastor Maldonado is not concerned about his future in Formula 1 despite the newly-appointed Venezuelan sports minister saying that the government would no longer be investing in motorsport.
Maldonado’s career has been supported by state oil company PDVSA, whose sponsorship played a big part in securing him a seat with Lotus for 2014 after three years with Williams. However, after a scandal surrounding government investment in motorsport unfurled last year, there were concerns about his future.
In a recent interview, sports minister Antonio Alvarez said that “there will not be one more dollar for motor racing”. However, Maldonado is not concerned.
“It was exactly the same last year, and here I am,” he told journalists in Monaco. “I think always when Venezuela is moving or whatever, you always relate that with me.
“Last year there was a big impact history in motorsport, for the Venezuelan government and all the Venezuelan guys, because most of these drivers were stealing money from the government, and apart from that PDVSA is not my sponsor it’s a team sponsor.
“I don’t know the real situation against the team and against PDVSA.The best thing would be to ask the team or the PDVSA guys.”
The Venezuelan driver has enjoyed some success when working with PDVSA, winning the 2012 Spanish Grand Prix and the GP2 title back in 2010, and he sees no reason for this to come to an end.
“I have a good relationship,” Maldonado said. “We’ve been working for very long, more than 10 years at the moment, and I don’t see any reason to stop. If they stop, it’s not my decision.”
He may have gained a slightly crash-happy reputation in Formula 1, but Maldonado has shown occasional signs of potential. It would be interesting to see whether any team would pick him up without this sponsorship. Should it get withdrawn, it could also have implications on Lotus’ future.
For the time being though, Maldonado and Lotus will be hoping for a successful weekend in Monaco this weekend.
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 17
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6