May 22, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Kimi Raikkonen hasn’t had much luck so far this season, and on Thursday in Monaco, not much changed.
After being forced to miss the first half of the session due to a damp track, when the Finn finally did go out, it lasted just a few laps as a gearbox failure forced him to park up his Ferrari in the garage.
Raikkonen’s car began to splutter coming out of the final corner, just after he had passed pit entry. The Finn managed to keep his car going and complete a lap to take it back to the pits, but he then had to stay there as Ferrari began to take apart his car to find the problem.
Eventually, it was diagnosed as being a gearbox issue. Raikkonen is unlikely to face a five place grid penalty as it is only the Thursday of the race weekend, and with an extra day to play with, the Ferrari mechanics will have plenty of time to fix the problem.
However, Kimi then ran into further trouble. When crossing the pit lane by foot, he was very nearly run over by Sebastian Vettel as the Red Bull left its pit box. Luckily, a mechanic was on hand to drag him out of the way.
Not a good session for Kimi. Gearbox failure, then nearly got run over by Sebastian Vettel in the pit lane – whoops! pic.twitter.com/fjwe8726mQ
— F1® Racing on NBC (@F1onNBCSports) May 22, 2014
- Hamilton may have won again, but it was Raikkonen and Rosberg who stood out in Bahrain 5
- Scott Dixon breaks through for elusive Long Beach win 2
- Hamilton pleased to fend off Ferrari in Bahrain despite last lap brake scare 1
- Hamilton puts on a show under the lights to win Bahrain GP 6
- Off The Grid: Melbourne premieres 1:30pm ET on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 1
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0