May 22, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Kimi Raikkonen hasn’t had much luck so far this season, and on Thursday in Monaco, not much changed.
After being forced to miss the first half of the session due to a damp track, when the Finn finally did go out, it lasted just a few laps as a gearbox failure forced him to park up his Ferrari in the garage.
Raikkonen’s car began to splutter coming out of the final corner, just after he had passed pit entry. The Finn managed to keep his car going and complete a lap to take it back to the pits, but he then had to stay there as Ferrari began to take apart his car to find the problem.
Eventually, it was diagnosed as being a gearbox issue. Raikkonen is unlikely to face a five place grid penalty as it is only the Thursday of the race weekend, and with an extra day to play with, the Ferrari mechanics will have plenty of time to fix the problem.
However, Kimi then ran into further trouble. When crossing the pit lane by foot, he was very nearly run over by Sebastian Vettel as the Red Bull left its pit box. Luckily, a mechanic was on hand to drag him out of the way.
Not a good session for Kimi. Gearbox failure, then nearly got run over by Sebastian Vettel in the pit lane – whoops! pic.twitter.com/fjwe8726mQ
— F1® Racing on NBC (@F1onNBCSports) May 22, 2014
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 0
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 0
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 13
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 10