May 23, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
Clint Bowyer doesn’t back down from much. But when it comes to racing in the Indianapolis 500, Bowyer has no delusions of grandeur that he’ll ever try to drive in the so-called Greatest Spectacle in Racing.
But after seeing Busch wreck in practice earlier this week somewhere in the neighborhood of 220-plus mph, Bowyer made it clear his thoughts of Busch’s doing the Double are essentially, “Better you than me, buddy.”
Back home in Emporia, Kansas, Bowyer was late in getting the news of Busch’s wreck. But his response was priceless, nonetheless.
“I’ve been cutting hay — bailing hay — all week long and haven’t really been following Twitter or anything,” Bowyer told FoxSports.com. “And I did go home, got in bed and I was watching TV and I didn’t even know Kurt had wrecked that day and I was like, ‘Holy cow.’ No, that doesn’t look one iota of fun at all.”
Indeed, Busch’s wreck was hard, but other than soreness he was uninjured.
“That was a hard hit and just from looking at it — those things (Indy racers) blow apart and you see us wreck and it kind of flat-sides the right side and you’re like, ‘You’ll be okay,'” Bowyer said. “You see them things blow apart and you’re like, ‘Man, is he even going to get out?’ No, it doesn’t look like fun, but it’s fun to watch.”
It’s kind of like going to some remote locale: It’s a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there, right, Clint?
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Power steals final pole of IndyCar’s 2015 season with new track record at Sonoma 0
- Oriol Servia reflects on his friend Justin Wilson, as he races No. 25 car at Sonoma (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5