May 23, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
Clint Bowyer doesn’t back down from much. But when it comes to racing in the Indianapolis 500, Bowyer has no delusions of grandeur that he’ll ever try to drive in the so-called Greatest Spectacle in Racing.
But after seeing Busch wreck in practice earlier this week somewhere in the neighborhood of 220-plus mph, Bowyer made it clear his thoughts of Busch’s doing the Double are essentially, “Better you than me, buddy.”
Back home in Emporia, Kansas, Bowyer was late in getting the news of Busch’s wreck. But his response was priceless, nonetheless.
“I’ve been cutting hay — bailing hay — all week long and haven’t really been following Twitter or anything,” Bowyer told FoxSports.com. “And I did go home, got in bed and I was watching TV and I didn’t even know Kurt had wrecked that day and I was like, ‘Holy cow.’ No, that doesn’t look one iota of fun at all.”
Indeed, Busch’s wreck was hard, but other than soreness he was uninjured.
“That was a hard hit and just from looking at it — those things (Indy racers) blow apart and you see us wreck and it kind of flat-sides the right side and you’re like, ‘You’ll be okay,'” Bowyer said. “You see them things blow apart and you’re like, ‘Man, is he even going to get out?’ No, it doesn’t look like fun, but it’s fun to watch.”
It’s kind of like going to some remote locale: It’s a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there, right, Clint?
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 2
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 1
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 5
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 2
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0