May 24, 2014, 11:23 AM EST
Carl Edwards was the fastest in Saturday’s next-to-last practice session for Sunday night’s Coca-Cola 600.
Edwards’ fast lap of 192.802 mph topped the speed charts, followed by AJ Allmendinger (192.383 mph).
Jeff Gordon ran an abbreviated session due to back spasms, covering just 11 laps but recording the sixth-fastest lap at 191.659 mph.
Other performances of note:
* Dale Earnhardt Jr. was 15th-fastest at 190.712 mph.
* Kurt Busch, who is the first driver to attempt the Double – racing in Sunday’s Indianapolis 500 and the evening’s Coca-Cola 600 – was 26th-fastest at 189.394 mph.
* The slowest driver was Blake Koch at 181.366 mph.
The final Happy Hour practice takes place at 1 p.m. ET Saturday afternoon.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 2
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 1
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 5
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 6
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0