May 24, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Congratulations are in order for NASCAR Hall of Famer Darrell Waltrip and former crew chief and Fox Sports teammate Jeff Hammond, who will walk their daughters — Sarah Waltrip and Heather Hammond — down the aisle for their respective weddings Saturday afternoon.
Ironically, Waltrip and Hammond weren’t even aware of the other’s plans until just a few weeks ago.
“We had no idea they were getting married on the same day,” Waltrip told FoxSports.com. “Who would have thought that out of the 365 days a year, our daughters would have chosen the same one?
“Hammond didn’t tell me and I didn’t tell him. We sent out invitations and still didn’t catch it. He was talking to me about a wedding recently, and I thought he was talking about ours. At some point in time, Hammond said something about a tent, and I said, ‘We’re not having a tent.’ He said, ‘I’m going to have a tent,’ and I asked, ‘What do you need a tent for?’ He said, ‘For the wedding!’ I asked, ‘What wedding?’
“We then figured out they were getting married on the same day. Hammond said Heather (Hammond) had chosen that date because it’s a day he could get off of work for NASCAR on FOX, which is the same reason Sarah (daughter), Stevie (wife) and I had chosen it. There is no on-track activity Friday, and Saturday is a light day on the track for FOX.
“For my family, Saturday was the only day that worked well for the kids and enabled me to be in town for the reception, rehearsal dinner and so forth. Hammond chose this weekend for the exact same reason.”
Both men will be back in Charlotte and in the Fox broadcast booth for Sunday night’s Coca-Cola 600.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Insight: Planning Andretti’s Sports Marketing promotional efforts at Miami and NOLA 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 3
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 4
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10