May 24, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Congratulations are in order for NASCAR Hall of Famer Darrell Waltrip and former crew chief and Fox Sports teammate Jeff Hammond, who will walk their daughters — Sarah Waltrip and Heather Hammond — down the aisle for their respective weddings Saturday afternoon.
Ironically, Waltrip and Hammond weren’t even aware of the other’s plans until just a few weeks ago.
“We had no idea they were getting married on the same day,” Waltrip told FoxSports.com. “Who would have thought that out of the 365 days a year, our daughters would have chosen the same one?
“Hammond didn’t tell me and I didn’t tell him. We sent out invitations and still didn’t catch it. He was talking to me about a wedding recently, and I thought he was talking about ours. At some point in time, Hammond said something about a tent, and I said, ‘We’re not having a tent.’ He said, ‘I’m going to have a tent,’ and I asked, ‘What do you need a tent for?’ He said, ‘For the wedding!’ I asked, ‘What wedding?’
“We then figured out they were getting married on the same day. Hammond said Heather (Hammond) had chosen that date because it’s a day he could get off of work for NASCAR on FOX, which is the same reason Sarah (daughter), Stevie (wife) and I had chosen it. There is no on-track activity Friday, and Saturday is a light day on the track for FOX.
“For my family, Saturday was the only day that worked well for the kids and enabled me to be in town for the reception, rehearsal dinner and so forth. Hammond chose this weekend for the exact same reason.”
Both men will be back in Charlotte and in the Fox broadcast booth for Sunday night’s Coca-Cola 600.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 1
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 5
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 10
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 14
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3