May 24, 2014, 11:45 AM EST
Congratulations are in order for NASCAR Hall of Famer Darrell Waltrip and former crew chief and Fox Sports teammate Jeff Hammond, who will walk their daughters — Sarah Waltrip and Heather Hammond — down the aisle for their respective weddings Saturday afternoon.
Ironically, Waltrip and Hammond weren’t even aware of the other’s plans until just a few weeks ago.
“We had no idea they were getting married on the same day,” Waltrip told FoxSports.com. “Who would have thought that out of the 365 days a year, our daughters would have chosen the same one?
“Hammond didn’t tell me and I didn’t tell him. We sent out invitations and still didn’t catch it. He was talking to me about a wedding recently, and I thought he was talking about ours. At some point in time, Hammond said something about a tent, and I said, ‘We’re not having a tent.’ He said, ‘I’m going to have a tent,’ and I asked, ‘What do you need a tent for?’ He said, ‘For the wedding!’ I asked, ‘What wedding?’
“We then figured out they were getting married on the same day. Hammond said Heather (Hammond) had chosen that date because it’s a day he could get off of work for NASCAR on FOX, which is the same reason Sarah (daughter), Stevie (wife) and I had chosen it. There is no on-track activity Friday, and Saturday is a light day on the track for FOX.
“For my family, Saturday was the only day that worked well for the kids and enabled me to be in town for the reception, rehearsal dinner and so forth. Hammond chose this weekend for the exact same reason.”
Both men will be back in Charlotte and in the Fox broadcast booth for Sunday night’s Coca-Cola 600.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 0
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 1