May 24, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT
Kyle Busch took his car from the body shop to the top of the speed charts, qualifying No. 1 for Saturday afternoon’s History 300 NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Busch wrecked the car during practice Thursday. According to a report on ESPN, per NASCAR rules, a team is allowed to take a damaged car off-site to repair it, and that’s what Busch’s team apparently did, taking it back to Joe Gibbs Racing’s headquarters in suburban Huntersville, N.C.
The car came back seemingly better than the original, as Busch made it look easy with a best lap of 183.094 mph.
Just like he’ll start in Sunday’s Coca-Cola 600 Sprint Cup race, Brad Keselowski earned the outside pole in NNS qualifying with a speed of 182.655 mph.
Here’s the starting grid for Saturday afternoon’s History 300, with the green flag set to fall at 2:45 pm ET:
Row 1 Kyle Busch, Brad Keselowski
Row 2 Kyle Larson, Dylan Kwasniewski
Row 3 Kevin Harvick, Brian Scott
Row 4 Matt Kenseth, Regan Smith
Row 5 Chase Elliott, Elliott Sadler
Row 8 James Bueschder, Trevor Bayne
Row 15 Jeffrey Earnhardt, Kyle Fowler
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- WATCH LIVE: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach at 4 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Long Beach (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Hamilton pleased to fend off Ferrari in Bahrain despite last lap brake scare 1
- Hamilton puts on a show under the lights to win Bahrain GP 3
- Off The Grid: Melbourne premieres 1:30pm ET on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 1
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0