May 24, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT
Kyle Busch took his car from the body shop to the top of the speed charts, qualifying No. 1 for Saturday afternoon’s History 300 NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Busch wrecked the car during practice Thursday. According to a report on ESPN, per NASCAR rules, a team is allowed to take a damaged car off-site to repair it, and that’s what Busch’s team apparently did, taking it back to Joe Gibbs Racing’s headquarters in suburban Huntersville, N.C.
The car came back seemingly better than the original, as Busch made it look easy with a best lap of 183.094 mph.
Just like he’ll start in Sunday’s Coca-Cola 600 Sprint Cup race, Brad Keselowski earned the outside pole in NNS qualifying with a speed of 182.655 mph.
Here’s the starting grid for Saturday afternoon’s History 300, with the green flag set to fall at 2:45 pm ET:
Row 1 Kyle Busch, Brad Keselowski
Row 2 Kyle Larson, Dylan Kwasniewski
Row 3 Kevin Harvick, Brian Scott
Row 4 Matt Kenseth, Regan Smith
Row 5 Chase Elliott, Elliott Sadler
Row 8 James Bueschder, Trevor Bayne
Row 15 Jeffrey Earnhardt, Kyle Fowler
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 0
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 1
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 4
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 3