May 24, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT
Kyle Busch was the fastest driver in Saturday’s final practice for Sunday’s Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway, turning a speed of 188.640 mph.
Unfortunately, Busch wrecked after his first two practice laps and will be forced to start Sunday’s race from the back of the 43-car field.
Busch, who qualified seventh Thursday, did manage to put 19 additional laps in his backup car, but none of those laps came close to his earlier fast lap.
Ironically, Busch wrecked Thursday in his Nationwide Series car, received permission to repair it back at Joe Gibbs Racing’s headquarters in nearby Huntersville, N.C., and then came out earlier Saturday to qualify No. 1 for that afternoon’s History 300.
Joey Logano was right behind Busch on the Sprint Cup speed charts, clocking in at 188.265 mph.
And Danica Patrick recorded yet another impressive run, ranking third-fastest at 187.846 mph.
Of note about the top 10 fastest: six have yet to win a race thus far in 2014 (Patrick, Biffle, Johnson, Truex, Bowyer and Newman).
Other highlights from Happy Hour:
* Current points leader Jeff Gordon did not practice due to back spasms that forced him run just 11 laps in the day’s earlier session. Gordon said he plans on racing Sunday, but will have Nationwide Series driver Regan Smith on standby, just in case.
* Kurt Busch, who will attempt to complete the “Double” on Sunday – racing in both the Indianapolis 500 and Coca-Cola 600 – saw a nice bump up in speed from the morning session at 186.245 mph.
* Blake Koch was the slowest of the 40 drivers that took to the track at 180.717 mph.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 0
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 1
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 4
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 7
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1