May 24, 2014, 7:45 AM EST
Lewis Hamilton has set the pace so far this weekend in Monaco, but after coming under pressure from teammate Nico Rosberg and the two Red Bull drivers, he knows that securing his first ever pole around these streets will be all important.
You can watch qualifying live on NBCSN from 8am ET. CLICK HERE to watch via live stream.
The Briton won the race back in 2008, but did so in wet conditions from third place on the grid. Since then, he has failed to finish on the podium despite seeing the checkered flag in every race.
Thanks to the pace of the W05 Hybrid car, this weekend may be Hamilton’s best ever opportunity to secure pole at Monaco, but he will have to be careful to see off rival and teammate Nico Rosberg. The Briton has begun to wage a war of words with Rosberg, saying earlier this week that he has doubts about his hunger to win. We might just see that hunger today.
However, Red Bull is also looking to throw its hat into the ring during qualifying. Daniel Ricciardo and Sebastian Vettel have been a good deal closer to Mercedes so far this weekend, meaning that both Hamilton and Rosberg cannot afford to make any mistakes this time around.
It’s the most important qualifying session of the season, as overtaking during the race comes at a premium. Who will win the fight for pole and seriously improve their chances of being victorious on Sunday?
You can find out by watching live on NBCSN from 8am ET. CLICK HERE to watch via live stream.
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 1
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0
- Jean-Eric Vergne confirms Toro Rosso exit 2
- Bottas leads as McLaren-Honda delayed on first day of Abu Dhabi test 5
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 3
- Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain 4
- Maurizio Arrivabene replaces Marco Mattiacci as Ferrari team principal 4