May 25, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
Two Indianapolis 500 fans are injured following a robbery and shooting inside the same parking lot near the Indianapolis Motor Speedway where a man was killed on Saturday.
According to a lieutenant with the Speedway (Ind.) Police Department, multiple people approached two men inside the Coke Lot earlier this morning, and one man was beaten and had his personal items stolen.
Police reported that the second man then attempted to chase the fleeing suspects before he was shot.
The shooting victim was taken to Eskanazi Hospital in Indianapolis and is in critical condition per the Indianapolis Star. The robbery victim was also taken to the hospital for treatment.
Shortly after 2 a.m. ET on Saturday morning, 25-year-old Max Levine of Kokomo, Indiana was found dead with gunshot wounds in the Coke Lot. 19-year-old Avory Johnson of Indianapolis has been arrested and given a preliminary charge of murder.
IMS has released a statement that said the track was cooperating with the police’s investigation. Levine leaves behind a three-year-old daughter.
- NASCAR: Is Edwards a lame duck or could he still bag 2014 title? 0
- Kasey Kahne unable to hang on late at the Brickyard 0
- Jeff Gordon wins record 5th Brickyard 400 in vintage fashion 2
- Broken axle spoils Danica Patrick’s day, Brickyard win hopes 2
- Hungry Hamilton charges from the pit lane to the podium 7