May 25, 2014, 5:45 PM EST
Kurt Busch has arrived at Charlotte Motor Speedway and with plenty of time to go – roughly about 45 minutes before the green flag is scheduled to drop for the longest and most grueling race on the Sprint Cup calendar.
Busch helicoptered the roughly five miles from the nearby Concord Regional Airport, landing triumphantly in the CMS infield to a large round of applause from fans preparing to watch the race.
Busch finished a very respectable sixth in his first-ever Indianapolis 500 earlier in the day.
“I feel great, the adrenaline has kicked in here we are at the 600 and I almost have to forget that ran 500 miles earlier and just zone in with the two portions of today’s race, daytime and nighttime,” Busch told Fox Sports. “My first experience, I can’t ask for anything more.”
The elder Busch brother is now the first driver to race the so-called “Double” since Robby Gordon in 2004, and hopes to become the first driver to finish all 1,100 miles between Indy and Charlotte since Tony Stewart became the only driver to do so in 2001.
Busch was forced to start from 42nd position due to missing the driver’s meeting. He is now halfway towards attaining or breaking Stewart’s Double record of finishing sixth in the 500 and third in the 600 later that evening.
“I still have a job to do here tonight for my Haas Automation team,” Busch said. “The way all of this has come together and all of the support from the NASCAR garage and IndyCar paddock … and now here we are in Charlotte to finish off strong in 600 miles. … I’m loving it.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 0
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 1
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1