May 25, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
After a three race run without any points, McLaren has finally made a return to the top ten in Monaco today with Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen both adding to their totals.
Button crossed the line in sixth place after a race-long battle with Nico Hulkenberg and his teammate, Magnussen. The Dane was subject to a brilliant overtake by Button at Sainte Devote towards the end of the race, and then fell into the clutches of Kimi Raikkonen. The Finn had been poised to finish on the podium until a run-in with a backmarker forced him to make an unplanned pit stop, dropping him down the order.
However, Raikkonen tried an opportunistic move at the Loews hairpin, and paid the price when both he and Magnussen finished in the wall. Both managed to recover and continue, but the Finn had to pit for a third time for a new nosecone. He eventually finished the race in 12th place with the fastest lap.
Magnussen managed to continue, though, and brought his McLaren home in 10th place to pick up the final point on offer.
Although the combined haul of nine points will raise a smile at McLaren, it is unlikely to get them jumping for joy. After scoring a memorable double-podium at the opening round in Australia, the team has since appeared to return to the rut it was in throughout 2013, where it went for an entire year without a top three finish.
Both Button and Magnussen will be hoping to build on their results at the Canadian Grand Prix in two weeks’ time.
- CFH Racing looks to turn things around once again at Milwaukee 0
- Welcome back, Wilson: Englishman back with Andretti for rest of 2015 0
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 6
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 2
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 2
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0