May 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Nico Rosberg has called his second consecutive win at the Monaco Grand Prix “a very special day” after seeing off the challenge of Lewis Hamilton and Daniel Ricciardo during the race today.
The German driver went wire-to-wire to win the race and finish over nine seconds ahead of Hamilton. After the podium celebrations, he spoke to Benedict Cumberbatch about the day.
“A very, very special day, for sure,” he said. “Lewis drove really really well and pushed me massively hard, so the pressure was on all the way. But I kept a cool and was able to win, in the end pulling a bit of a gap ’cause I had the fresher tires.
“Just fantastic. I’m very very happy also for the whole team. It’s an amazing car they’ve built, and given us this year.”
With this result, Rosberg has re-taken the lead of the drivers’ championship, and has also matched his father’s tally of five grand prix victories in Formula 1.
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 0
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 4
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0
- Jean-Eric Vergne confirms Toro Rosso exit 3
- Bottas leads as McLaren-Honda delayed on first day of Abu Dhabi test 6
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 3
- Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain 4