May 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Nico Rosberg has called his second consecutive win at the Monaco Grand Prix “a very special day” after seeing off the challenge of Lewis Hamilton and Daniel Ricciardo during the race today.
The German driver went wire-to-wire to win the race and finish over nine seconds ahead of Hamilton. After the podium celebrations, he spoke to Benedict Cumberbatch about the day.
“A very, very special day, for sure,” he said. “Lewis drove really really well and pushed me massively hard, so the pressure was on all the way. But I kept a cool and was able to win, in the end pulling a bit of a gap ’cause I had the fresher tires.
“Just fantastic. I’m very very happy also for the whole team. It’s an amazing car they’ve built, and given us this year.”
With this result, Rosberg has re-taken the lead of the drivers’ championship, and has also matched his father’s tally of five grand prix victories in Formula 1.
- What to watch for: IndyCar at St. Petersburg 0
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 4
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 7
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 4