May 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Nico Rosberg has called his second consecutive win at the Monaco Grand Prix “a very special day” after seeing off the challenge of Lewis Hamilton and Daniel Ricciardo during the race today.
The German driver went wire-to-wire to win the race and finish over nine seconds ahead of Hamilton. After the podium celebrations, he spoke to Benedict Cumberbatch about the day.
“A very, very special day, for sure,” he said. “Lewis drove really really well and pushed me massively hard, so the pressure was on all the way. But I kept a cool and was able to win, in the end pulling a bit of a gap ’cause I had the fresher tires.
“Just fantastic. I’m very very happy also for the whole team. It’s an amazing car they’ve built, and given us this year.”
With this result, Rosberg has re-taken the lead of the drivers’ championship, and has also matched his father’s tally of five grand prix victories in Formula 1.
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 2
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3