May 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Nico Rosberg has called his second consecutive win at the Monaco Grand Prix “a very special day” after seeing off the challenge of Lewis Hamilton and Daniel Ricciardo during the race today.
The German driver went wire-to-wire to win the race and finish over nine seconds ahead of Hamilton. After the podium celebrations, he spoke to Benedict Cumberbatch about the day.
“A very, very special day, for sure,” he said. “Lewis drove really really well and pushed me massively hard, so the pressure was on all the way. But I kept a cool and was able to win, in the end pulling a bit of a gap ’cause I had the fresher tires.
“Just fantastic. I’m very very happy also for the whole team. It’s an amazing car they’ve built, and given us this year.”
With this result, Rosberg has re-taken the lead of the drivers’ championship, and has also matched his father’s tally of five grand prix victories in Formula 1.
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52