May 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Nico Rosberg has called his second consecutive win at the Monaco Grand Prix “a very special day” after seeing off the challenge of Lewis Hamilton and Daniel Ricciardo during the race today.
The German driver went wire-to-wire to win the race and finish over nine seconds ahead of Hamilton. After the podium celebrations, he spoke to Benedict Cumberbatch about the day.
“A very, very special day, for sure,” he said. “Lewis drove really really well and pushed me massively hard, so the pressure was on all the way. But I kept a cool and was able to win, in the end pulling a bit of a gap ’cause I had the fresher tires.
“Just fantastic. I’m very very happy also for the whole team. It’s an amazing car they’ve built, and given us this year.”
With this result, Rosberg has re-taken the lead of the drivers’ championship, and has also matched his father’s tally of five grand prix victories in Formula 1.
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 0
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 1
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 2
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1