May 25, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
The Monaco Grand Prix is the biggest event on the Formula 1 calendar, and in 2014 it has been made all the more tantalizing as the intra-team rivalry at Mercedes boils over for us all to see.
All week long, Lewis Hamilton has been having subtle digs at teammate Nico Rosberg, and this escalated yesterday after qualifying. Whilst on his final flying lap, Rosberg – who was on provisional pole – made a mistake at Mirabeau and went off down a slip road. This brought out the yellow flags, and meant that none of the drivers behind him could improve their times. He had inadvertently given himself pole position, with Hamilton missing out by just 0.059 seconds.
However, Hamilton inferred that there was something more sinister behind Rosberg’s error. The stewards investigated the incident, but ultimately ruled that the German driver had made an innocent error; Hamilton was simply the victim of bad luck.
With the two starting side-by-side on the front row today, we could be set for the closest and most tenuous battle yet.
FROM THE STEWARDS’ OFFICE
- As reported yesterday, Marcus Ericsson has been told by the FIA to start the race from the pit lane as punishment for crashing into Felipe Massa during Q1. The Swede has also received two penalty points on his superlicense.
- Jules Bianchi will now start from last on the grid (P21) after making a gearbox change overnight. This bumps Max Chilton and Kamui Kobayashi up one place each.
- Nico Rosberg will start the race from pole position despite the stewards investigating his off-track excursion during Q3 yesterday.
- All cases of on-track blocking have not been deemed severe enough to warrant a penalty by the stewards. Sergio Perez, Esteban Gutierrez, Daniil Kvyat and Pastor Maldonado were all under investigation.
2014 MONACO GRAND PRIX STARTING GRID
1. Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
3. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull
4. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull
5. Fernando Alonso Ferrari
6. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari
7. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso
8. Kevin Magnussen McLaren
9. Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso
10. Sergio Perez Force India
11. Nico Hulkenberg Force India
12. Jenson Button McLaren
13. Valtteri Bottas Williams
14. Romain Grosjean Lotus
15. Pastor Maldonado Lotus
16. Felipe Massa Williams
17. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber
18. Adrian Sutil Sauber
19. Max Chilton Marussia
20. Kamui Kobayashi Caterham
21. Jules Bianchi Marussia
PIT LANE: Marcus Ericsson Caterham
Aug 27, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
Oriol Servia will race in what was Justin Wilson’s car this weekend at Sonoma.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge in a motorcade, for pre-title buildup and to pay tribute to Justin Wilson.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Aleshin returns to IndyCar this weekend after a year away.
Aug 27, 2015, 3:14 PM EDT
All cars to carry special tribute logos, decals for Justin Wilson this weekend, with Wilson’s old team also paying tribute.
Aug 27, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Rahal out to claim his third win of the season at Sonoma, believing it will be the only way to beat Juan Pablo Montoya to the 2015 Verizon IndyCar Series title.
Aug 27, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Max Chilton has two years of F1 experience under his belt, but believes Ferrari will have a big say in who Haas hires for 2016.
Aug 27, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Vettel defends Ferrari’s decision to try a one-stop strategy at Spa after suffering a tire failure on the penultimate lap of the race.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Fast facts heading into this weekend’s season finale, the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma, courtesy of IndyCar PR staff.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Victory at Spa gives Rossi momentum heading into the final four rounds of the 2015 season, and potentially in the race for a seat with Haas F1 Team next season.
Aug 27, 2015, 8:36 AM EDT
Off the back of winning Le Mans, Porsche confirms it will stay in the FIA World Endurance Championship for at least another three years.
Aug 26, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
Just in time for the biggest race in drag racing, next weekend’s (Sept. 2-7) NHRA U.S. Nationals, Erica Enders is back where she wants to be: leading the NHRA Pro Stock point standings.
Aug 26, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT
Double the amount of base points, in addition to bonus points, could have a major impact on who emerges as the 2015 IndyCar Series champion Sunday at Sonoma Raceway.
Aug 26, 2015, 3:52 PM EDT
This past Sunday’s ABC Supply 500 Verizon IndyCar Series race at Pocono Raceway proved to be a very costly proposition for numerous teams.
Aug 26, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
INDYCAR announced on Wednesday several infractions and manufacturer championship points updates following this past Sunday’s ABC Supply 500 at Pocono Raceway.
IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video)
Aug 26, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
There will likely be heavy hearts, tears and a great deal of emotion at this weekend’s season-ending Go-Pro Grand Prix of Sonoma, as the mourning for driver Justin Wilson continues.
Six remaining IndyCar championship contenders to be busy in the days leading up to big race at Sonoma
Aug 26, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT
The six remaining Verizon IndyCar Series contenders will be pretty busy over the next few days prior to Sunday’s championship-deciding Go-Pro Grand Prix of Sonoma.
Aug 25, 2015, 5:57 PM EDT
Allmendinger, Castroneves, Diffey and more reflect on the life lived by Justin Wilson.
Aug 25, 2015, 3:59 PM EDT
Tribute to Justin Wilson set to air on Tuesday night’s NASCAR AMERICA on NBCSN.
Aug 25, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
Justin Wilson saves six lives with organ donation, his brother confirms.
Aug 25, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
Prost leads while Andretti FE makes powertrain switch to cap off Formula E testing at Donington Park.
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 2
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 2
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 1
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 13
- DiZinno: Justin Wilson’s enduring legacy, positive spirit loom as large as his frame 2