May 26, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
The year was 2010. Hispania Racing Team was a new entrant into Formula One, and Bruno Senna and Karun Chandhok were its drivers.
Fast-forward four years to 2014 and today, a new series, the FIA Formula E championship, will have Senna and Chandhok on the grid as teammates once again. This time, they’ll swap the Spanish operation for the Indian Mahindra Racing team.
“Karun and Bruno both represent the perfect balance between experience and youthful enthusiasm for this truly ground breaking championship,” said team principal Dilbagh Gill.
Both drivers are 30 and at the end of their proverbial single-seater careers; neither has driven a Grand Prix since 2012 (Senna with Williams). Both spend their summer months in sports cars, as Senna will line up with a GTE Pro Aston Martin Vantage and Chandhok the Murphy Prototypes LMP2 ORECA 03 Nissan in this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans. The inaugural FE season starts in September.
Chandhok looks forward to the reunion, one which got cut short in 2010 as financial woes required a midseason driver change at HRT (Sakon Yamamoto and Christian Klien took over that car).
“To be a part of the only Indian team in this series is a real honor for me,” Chandhok said in a team release. “It’s also going to be a nice reunion for me with Bruno again. He’s one of my closest friends from the racing world; we respect each other and work well together which will be good for the development of the team.”
Added Senna, “There is a real ambition within the team to be leaders in Formula E from the start. Of course, I already have a great relationship with Karun which will help us work together and move the team forward very quickly.”
- Practice setbacks leave Hamilton “quite a bit off” in Malaysia (VIDEO) 2
- Verizon IndyCar Series 2015 preseason content roundup 0
- Hamilton hits back by topping second practice in Malaysia 0
- Rosberg quickest in Malaysia FP1 as Hamilton hits trouble 2
- Now IndyCar’s champion, Will Power’s mindset hasn’t changed heading into 2015 0
- Alonso moves to clear up testing crash conspiracy theories 2
- NHRA Funny Car driver Cruz Pedregon trades seats for a day with NASCAR counterpart Joey Logano 2