May 26, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
The year was 2010. Hispania Racing Team was a new entrant into Formula One, and Bruno Senna and Karun Chandhok were its drivers.
Fast-forward four years to 2014 and today, a new series, the FIA Formula E championship, will have Senna and Chandhok on the grid as teammates once again. This time, they’ll swap the Spanish operation for the Indian Mahindra Racing team.
“Karun and Bruno both represent the perfect balance between experience and youthful enthusiasm for this truly ground breaking championship,” said team principal Dilbagh Gill.
Both drivers are 30 and at the end of their proverbial single-seater careers; neither has driven a Grand Prix since 2012 (Senna with Williams). Both spend their summer months in sports cars, as Senna will line up with a GTE Pro Aston Martin Vantage and Chandhok the Murphy Prototypes LMP2 ORECA 03 Nissan in this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans. The inaugural FE season starts in September.
Chandhok looks forward to the reunion, one which got cut short in 2010 as financial woes required a midseason driver change at HRT (Sakon Yamamoto and Christian Klien took over that car).
“To be a part of the only Indian team in this series is a real honor for me,” Chandhok said in a team release. “It’s also going to be a nice reunion for me with Bruno again. He’s one of my closest friends from the racing world; we respect each other and work well together which will be good for the development of the team.”
Added Senna, “There is a real ambition within the team to be leaders in Formula E from the start. Of course, I already have a great relationship with Karun which will help us work together and move the team forward very quickly.”
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 87
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 4
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 14
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1