May 27, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT
Less than four months before the world’s first fully-electric racing series takes its first green flag in Beijing, officials from Formula E joined with officials from the Chinese government and the city for the Beijing ePrix’s launch ceremony.
The September 13 race will take place on a 20-turn street circuit that wraps around several of Beijing’s Olympic landmarks, including the iconic Bird’s Nest stadium (pictured). The circuit was officially revealed back in March.
“On June 12 it will be exactly 100 days before Beijing hosts the opening ePrix and the world’s first all-electric Formula race,” said Formula E Holdings CEO Alejandro Agag.
“Today, I walked part of the circuit and visited areas where the first infrastructure holes have already been drilled and it’s just an incredible feeling and something that everyone here is excited about.”
Steven Lu, who leads the organizing team for the race, said that the city’s past handling of major gatherings such as those aforementioned 2008 Summer Olympics will ensure a trouble-free first running.
“Their experience gained from many previous major sport events will guarantee the success of the opening round of Formula E and we’re looking forward to welcoming everyone to Beijing in three months’ time,” he said.
Earlier this month, F-E’s 10 teams – including American squads Andretti Autosport and Dragon Racing – received their first deliveries of Spark-Renault SRT_01E machines.
The series also opened the doors to the teams’ new testing facilities at Donington Park in England. The track will host five pre-season test sessions, with the first coming on July 3.
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 1
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 2
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 10
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 4
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 53