May 27, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT
Krohn Racing will make a last-minute trip to the 24 Hours of Le Mans, having accepted an invitation from the ACO to join the GTE Am class.
Krohn’s squad replaces Strakka Racing, which has had to pullout of the race as its new Dome Strakka S103 Nissan sustained damage in testing.
“It happened on the first day’s running at Eau Rouge and if you leave the track there, it is going to result in damage,” said Strakka team manager Karl Patman. “Danny Watts was driving at the time. Crucially, he’s absolutely fine but we don’t have the time to be able to assess, repair the car and acquire sufficient spares in time. It has been a tight programme and this put any chance of competing out of the window.”
As for Krohn, the veteran GTE squad slots into the 19-car GTE Am category with its trademark “Krohn green” Ferrari F458 Italia. The usual pair of Tracy Krohn and Nic Jonsson will be joined by Ben Collins, the former “Stig” who is rated a Silver driver.
“We could not be happier to receive this invitation from the ACO to race at Le Mans again this year. It will be the ninth year for Nic and I and we are excited to have Ben (Collins) joining us,” Tracy Krohn said in a release.
“We’ve got plenty to do in the next couple of weeks to get our car prepared and to ACO specs but we’ll do it and be ready for race week. Normally, we would say that we have our sights set on victory, but with all candor, at this point we are just really, really happy to be on the grid! We can’t wait to get out on the track!”
Due to the lateness of the appointment, the Krohn car won’t be making the Le Mans test day this weekend but will be in Le Mans by June 9, the date of its scrutineering appointment.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 1
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 3
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2