May 27, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
After running on a race-by-race deal with ThorSport Racing, second-generation driver Jeb Burton has now had that partnership evolve into a full-time ride.
ThorSport, whose driver Matt Crafton won last year’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series championship, announced today that Burton will drive their No. 13 Toyota Tundra for the remainder of the 2014 Truck season with backing from Estes Express Lines.
The son of former Daytona 500 winner Ward Burton and nephew of NBC Sports’ own Jeff Burton was originally slated to run for Turner Scott Motorsports again after finishing fifth in the standings last year with one win at Texas and seven pole positions.
But while that program fell apart due to a sponsorship default, he was able to land at ThorSport. Burton has run all four Truck races this year and is currently seventh in points with two Top-10 finishes.
“It’s an honor to be driving the No. 13 Estes Toyota,” he said in a statement. “Each time I get behind the wheel, I’m not only representing the Burton family and ThorSport Racing.
“Now I have the privilege of representing everyone at Estes, which means a team of almost 15,000 employees including more than 6,000 truck drivers.”
- Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO) 0
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 1
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 1
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 2
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5