May 27, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
After running on a race-by-race deal with ThorSport Racing, second-generation driver Jeb Burton has now had that partnership evolve into a full-time ride.
ThorSport, whose driver Matt Crafton won last year’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series championship, announced today that Burton will drive their No. 13 Toyota Tundra for the remainder of the 2014 Truck season with backing from Estes Express Lines.
The son of former Daytona 500 winner Ward Burton and nephew of NBC Sports’ own Jeff Burton was originally slated to run for Turner Scott Motorsports again after finishing fifth in the standings last year with one win at Texas and seven pole positions.
But while that program fell apart due to a sponsorship default, he was able to land at ThorSport. Burton has run all four Truck races this year and is currently seventh in points with two Top-10 finishes.
“It’s an honor to be driving the No. 13 Estes Toyota,” he said in a statement. “Each time I get behind the wheel, I’m not only representing the Burton family and ThorSport Racing.
“Now I have the privilege of representing everyone at Estes, which means a team of almost 15,000 employees including more than 6,000 truck drivers.”
- Ryan Briscoe making most of filling in for James Hinchcliffe 0
- F1 Strategy Group pushing through technical revolution for 2017, other changes planned as early as Belgian GP 1
- 2015 British Grand Prix Preview 1
- Here are your British Grand Prix air times on CNBC, NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- Miles: After “two-sided pancake” Fontana race, IndyCar may crack down against stakeholder comments 11
- IndyCar issues penalties and fines following MAVTV 500 at Fontana 5
- NHRA shakeup: Tom Compton retires as president, Peter Clifford named successor 6