Kevin Harvick wants more road courses in NASCAR

May 28, 2014, 12:37 PM EST

Outback Bowl - Iowa v LSU Getty Images

In the last few weeks, we’ve heard a lot from Kurt Busch about his month of May double, from Tony Stewart about his joining Twitter and return to sprint cars and Danica Patrick, who posted a career-best finish in Kansas but got wrecked and lost an engine in Charlotte.

But what of the fourth Stewart-Haas Racing driver, the guy who’s the only one of the team’s quartet with multiple victories this year, Kevin Harvick?

This tweet got some people talking this morning.

Harvick’s been among those testing at Virginia International Raceway the last couple days. He also took time to answer fan questions, and said there should be a road course in the Chase.

Right now, just the races at Sonoma Raceway in June and Watkins Glen International in August are the lone two road races the Sprint Cup Series has on the schedule.

These clearly aren’t new ideas, or thoughts, but it’s cool to see it vocally publicized.

1. techmeister1 - May 28, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Numerous CRASHCAR drivers understand the fun and challenge of road courses. It brings out more skills in a driver and chassis prep by the crew chief. It’s a good thing for the most part unless you’ve only learned to turn left in your driving career.

2. midtec2005 - May 28, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I’ve been saying this for years. Nascar road racing is actually pretty exciting, well it was before the COT, now they just ram each other out of the way.

3. techmeister1 - May 28, 2014 at 3:43 PM

The crashing is what most (clueless) spectators desire to see. That is why it’s called CRASHCAR and the fans can’t get enough of it. If they’d allow more fist fights after the race, that will increase viewership just like worldwide fake wrestling does. Much of motorsport is slowly transitioning from actual auto racing to just a circus act because that’s what the arse clowns want to see and will pay for. They call it “entertainment”. The clueless have no understanding of auto racing at all.

• bru308 - May 28, 2014 at 4:33 PM

My comment here is not because I disagree with your argument, that clueless spectators desire to see crashes, but it is because I do wonder why someone would waste so much time watching and commenting about a sport that they try so hard to prove that they dislike. So, why do you waste so much time watching and commenting about NASCAR (yes, NASCAR- it’s never been called CRASHCAR, or any other obvious name that fails at being funny)?

Do you really have nothing better to do all day than comment about stuff you dislike? Again, not saying I disagree with your point, but just curious about how someone can troll something so hard for no gain?

4. Jeff - May 28, 2014 at 3:57 PM

And I want more ovals in IndyCar.

5. cfischeraz - May 28, 2014 at 5:10 PM

I grew up in Southern California; I was 10 before I saw NASCAR on an oval at Ontario (RIP). Until then, Dan Gurney was the greatest NASCAR driver of all time.

I also recall freezing my a$$ off at Riverside in January as the smoke from our fires settled down in the ditch that housed the eases, then admiring the drivers for the stamina as we fried in the June sun for the summer race.

It wasn’t the same when Riverside switched to metric races. 500 miles to nearly 6 hours – no TV back then.

6. gbart22 - May 29, 2014 at 2:45 AM

At least one more road course and in the chase preferably. I do to enjoy so many of these 1.5 tracks would also love more short tracks but I don’t know if it will ever happen.

Techmeister I agree with a previous poster why do you come on here so often to bash nascar? What are you trying to prove? Whether you like it or not it is the form of auto racing that the majority enjoy and some of it is crashes but I’d say the majority of fans don’t enjoy crashes at all. Perhaps back in the day there was something to that but I always get the sense whenever a crash happens we all sort of do a collective ugh. Just my feeling from when I go. Anyway I don’t want to turn this into an F1 Indycar nascar debate I appreciate what each form of auto racing brings and offers. If I did have to complain about one thing I hate the spread out schedule of Indycar.

• midtec2005 - May 29, 2014 at 9:04 AM

I agree about the schedule, it is going to be less spread out this year though. The down side to that is the Indycar season is going to end really early this year. They really need to add a few races, but I think that plan is already in the works.

7. worknman24hours - Jun 3, 2014 at 3:56 PM

I’d like to see more road courses in NASCAR but REAL road courses-NOT-street courses.

Laguna Seca, Mid Ohio, Road America and how about Virginia International Raceway as well.

What about the Austin F1 track too.

Flying sideways,that’s how we roll.

Video from NASCAR America